Let's talk brisket- "Probe Tender"

5am

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've gone on a small streak of slightly over cooking brisket. I have cooked some really good briskets, but having trouble getting a consistent, juicey/tender brisket. Pretty sure this is caused by what I've always undestood to be "probe tender". I always wait until there is no resistance in the thickets part of the flat, but talking to some good cooks that may not be the right "feel" I should be looking for. So what does probe tender mean to you??

Best I've heard is a knife going into peanut butter.

There are a lot of reasons they could be overcooked. How are you resting and holding?

I did do one last week I felt was overcooked because I didn't vent it long enough before holding. However I did another one today, and by the time the thickest part had zero resistance it was over cooked a tad and had dried out. I've been using the white rabbit brisket method. Ill try the resistance of pb and see what happens. To me, pb has a lot more resistance than a warm stick of butter though?

How are you resting your Briskets??
Well, the one that overcooked, I let it vent for 20min and then held it. Did some reading, and tonight I let it vent for about an hour and then sliced it, no holding.

I can't explain probe tender but once you feel it you will know. The venting and resting is anoher thing all together. Let Blu Dawg explain it for you.

Is the general consensus very little to no resistance or a little bit of resistance ? I feel like maybe I should just cook a few and take them off at different resistances. Thanks for the feedback so far!

I'm going through the same thing. Using select briskets. I've been experimenting to learn the feel. Some have been under. The last one I left on the heat longer than my gut told me, just so I could find out what overcooking feels like. There was still some resistance. But as soon as the meats jiggly and the probe goes in smooth I think it's done. It's all edible though, and overcooked seems to be better than under. A knife through PB seems more accurate to me

• Thanks
Reactions: 5am
Even letting it sit out vented and resting for an hour before holding may not be long enough. The last couple I cooked, I planned them being done a couple hours before serving time, and even with a 2 hour rest (no hold) they were still piping hot. If you want to hold them, let the temp get under 160* first. I overcooked a few like that before someone on here set me straight.

Another good way to tell along with probe tender is if you shake it it should feel and look like it is a jello mold...I use this method along with probe tender and have not been let down yet, hope this helps

This! I get them probe tender and when I picked it up and it almost feels so flexible and plyable almost like it would fall about. That's when I know.

I did do one last week I felt was overcooked because I didn't vent it long enough before holding. However I did another one today, and by the time the thickest part had zero resistance it was over cooked a tad and had dried out. I've been using the white rabbit brisket method. Ill try the resistance of pb and see what happens. To me, pb has a lot more resistance than a warm stick of butter though?

A dry brisket its typically not overcooked unless it's way gone. Is it falling apart or holding together? If holding together then you're undercooking.

I had one once where I put the probe in and got the "like butter" experience for most of the way, then hit meat that put up a little resistance. It was closer to the bottom of the piece.

Thinking the brisket needed a little more time to cook that resistant meat I left it on another 1/2 hour and then pulled it. Well, it turned out that the resistant meat was resisting because it was overcooked. Had I probed a little earlier I probably would have figured it out. It wasn't overcooked to the point where it was any kind of an issue. It will still plenty moist and tender; only I knew.

• Thanks
Reactions: 5am
Back