BBQ Brethren Fleet Week Troop Feed

That was the best cook I've ever done......

And I'm NOT talking about my food.....these servicemen and servicewomen are the absolute BEST. So kind....so nice....and they REALLY seemed to enjoy the day. Was an awesome feeling seeing how such a relatively small gesture on our part could have such a HUGE effect on truly deserving people.

At one point, we had a few sailors come up to us and say..."some of us have to stay on the ships for security, work...etc...would you mind if we took a little BBQ back to them?...." I said "are you crazy??? :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:" Needless to say those sailors went back to the ship with almost more BBQ than they could carry :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Also had the opportunity to meet a lot of Brethren....without a doubt the FINEST crew I have ever known. My wife and I left our house at 1:30 AM to head to New York after about 2 hours of sleep the night before. Didn't get home until well past midnight last night (about 9 hours ago). Exhausted doesn't describe it but you know what? If we got a call right now saying there's another cook this afternoon and would we be able to make it, I would drop EVERYTHING to do it all over again.

To the organizers of this event (Jennifer, Eric and the others)....you guys did an INCREDIBLE job. THANK YOU SO MUCH for allowing my wife and me to participate. It means more to us than you can possibly know.....

Last edited:
Amazing job and big ups to everyone who jumped in to lend a hand. We can't to enough for the men and women in uniform.

Amazing cook y'all. I am not sure how y'all kept up with that cooker...

That was one of about 10 or more cookers there...in addition to all the Blackstones and other cookers. Plus....the big one Paul Shirley brought could have cooked enough food to feed half the Navy :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Wow! fantastic job producing a meal that I'm sure will not be forgotten and was much appreciated.

Here's some more pics...

Our view from the site

Shirley town - not pictured - Tango Joe. 4 Shirley cookers were present

John and the frozen hogs

Chris makin' the beans.

It was an incredible day. Met so many amazing people. The volunteers were all great folks. Got to meet so many brethren, it was crazy. Meeting all those troops was a real treat too. So glad we could make the trip and be a part of it. Driving through Chicago now, almost home. I don't want to cook chicken or be in a car for a week.

Blown away... by the generosity, teamwork, and selflessness shown by The Brethren.

I can only try to put myself in these Veterans', Sailors', Coasties', and Marines' shoes as they arrive in Brooklyn for the festivities to THIS WELCOME! I'd be floored (and stuffed!).

You make me humbly proud (is that possible) to count myself one of you.

Blown away... by the generosity, teamwork, and selflessness shown by The Brethren.

I can only try to put myself in these Veterans', Sailors', Coasties', and Marines' shoes as they arrive in Brooklyn for the festivities to THIS WELCOME! I'd be floored (and stuffed!).

You make me humbly proud (is that possible) to count myself one of you.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. Great job to all who made this happen! :thumb::clap:
Makes me proud to be a part of this place!

At one point I was speaking to a sailor who had tears in her eyes. She and her friends had been told there would be a BBQ and speaking amongst themselves they "expected to be handed a hot dog and sent out to the streets of Brooklyn". They were completely overwhelmed by the patriotic welcome, food, entertainment etc.

tens.gif
tens.gif

Back