enhancing the smoke aroma

rick1201

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hello, I know some of you throw some onions and garlic in the fire box to give off a nice aroma. Was wondering what are some of the ways this is done. Just tossing on the coals or simmering in a pan. Nothing like tantalizing the neighborhood. :crazy::crazy:

Rick

Sage leaves, onions, garlic,wood chunks, scrape the grill grates from last cook smells like something good to eat.

Yeah, I throw whole onions right on the coals and they smoke for a long time due to the water content. Smells delicious. This sounds sacrilege too, but I sometimes will throw scraps of meat...pork or beef trimmings right on the coals. That'll get the neighbors to your front door!

I grow a lot of herbs and with chicken or lamb I'll save the woody stems from my Rosemary bush and toss them off to the side of the coals where they will smoke for a bit without instantly burning up.

I really like corn. Raw corn. Very nice smell although they can catch fire and burn really fast. I usually place it on the grate above coals. Even just a corn cob gives amazing smell.

Back