Back to a 55

Soonerman71

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK. As some of you may remember, I had a sweet UDS that I gave to my dad for Father's Day a while back. I ended up finding a clean 85 gallon drum with no lid, and I started to build an XL UDS a few months ago. I finally gave up on finding a lid and grates for the 85. Admittedly, I wasn't looking too hard until this month, but no luck. I DID, however, get a brand new, unlined, extra CLEAN 55 gallon barrel with a lid and lock ring. Didn't cost me a dime. I just had to roll it out to the truck. I've decided that I just need to get something going, so I'm building a classic 55 gallon UDS. I'm putting all of the hardware in it from the 85 gallon problem child, and it should be fired up and seasoning by tonight. I'll post pics of the build from start to finish, in case anyone is interested. For what it's worth, I'm keeping the big barrel. I may get lucky and stumble into parts for it and build it later. Also, this one will be a no welded nipple version. I want to see how it works out vs. the old one. Stay tuned......

terrible color and logo:boxing::laugh:

edit: ok maybe the color is not too bad.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd put that 85 gallon to use. I'd be making an insulated UDS. I've been looking for an 85 gallon specifically for this. Basically put the 55 in the 85, extend your pipe nipples through the 85, insulate between the two drums and then seal the top of the insulation with sheet metal.

She is a beauty !!!!

Might look a little better with this on it ....

Attachments

• AlabamaCrimsonTide2.jpg
    AlabamaCrimsonTide2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 179
I like the insulated idea...In the meantime, here are the pics from today. Didn't get to fire it up yet. 20+ mph winds, and getting started a little later than anticipated killed that. Tomorrow. Here we go.

Attachments

• drum.jpg
    drum.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 162
I looked for an 85 after I found a source for cheap 55s I only found 1 in the Denver area I am going to start on my UDS after the roof repair.

I got it seasoned up and ready to go. It ran close to 20 hours at 220-250 on about 12 pounds of Kingsford. Better than the first one. First cook on it will be Sunday. Brisket. I also picked up an old beat up Weber kettle from CL for 35 bucks. Now, except for a pant job, it's complete.

Back