Looking at a new Shirley - NEED HELP

Warmers

Hi All I nver gave the warmers much attention when I ordered my 24x36 shirley.
You guys got me curious about cost for them.
Lov the cabinet doors.They put me some what over my budget. Would do it again.
DanB

Can one of you fine gents please post the link to the Shirley "options" thread?

Thanks!!

Options

Pictures

Cabinet doors vs Warmer is tough.. I love the cabinet doors, I seriously do. BUT, as far as bang for your buck goes, the warmer wins hands down. It makes your smoker so much more versatile, and the things you gain far out weigh the ease of opening/closing with the cabinet doors. I would recommend you get both even if you go over budget.. Eat Ramen for a week, rub your wife's feet every damn day till she says yes. Collect aluminum cans in a shopping cart. Its worth it. I can post examples of how great the warmer is if you need evidence to convince her..

As to the firebox - Get the 1/4". Its not a place where you will really see any ROI. A little more steel to heat, and it will stay warm a little longer. If I was doing a single layer FB, the only place I would want thicker steel was the bottom of the FB, and maybe the top, just for durability, but honestly, unless you really abuse it, this smoker will outlive you.

If you want the Cabinet Doors and the Warmer I say get both even if you have to wait and save a little more money, buy once cry once. One of my other hobbies is cycling and in 2003 I decided to invest in a custom framed Titanium Bike, my wife at the time thought I was crazy for spending that kind of money on a Bike, thirteen years later I don't have the same wife but I still ride the same Bike, I'm just guessing but I'm sure I have over 30'000 miles on the Bike.

Don't get me started on Surfboards. :wink:

I am going to go in a different direction. Are you sure you really want to make a jump this big without ever cooking on a stick burner before? A little over a year ago, I did the same thing. I had a WSM for two years and loved it, but wanted to go bigger, and wanted to go true stick burning. Jumped big and bought a $4K Vertical Offset Smoker from Lone Star Grillz. I got it in July of 2015 and I loved it. For about 10 cooks. And then realized that stick burning wasn't for me. I ordered a cabinet smoker from LSG, truly love it, but it has also taken me almost 6 months to sell the Offset and I took quite a loss on it.

I'm just saying, make sure you are sure before you make the jump. Maybe buy a cheap or used offset and play with it first while you save up money to get the BIG pit you really want...

Excellent point, Terry. The OP and others considering a similar upgrade and I include myself in this group would be well served to read your thread detailing your change of heart.

No one needs to go through that. Just make sure you make an educated decision.

firebox

i had an offset for 8-10 years that had a 3/16" firebox. it was 15-20 years old when i bought it. i never really took care of the firebox and neither did the previous owner. when i sold it last year it still had another decade or 2 left in it.

Addition to everything the warmer gives you, it also allows you to vent out at a lower point from the main chamber. This lets you choose more temp ranges during a cook.

True what Terry said. I had an used offset/stickburner for 5 years and fell in love with it first before deciding to jump the gun and sold that offset and go big with Shirley.

Thank you everyone for all your advice, thoughts and recommendations. Since that time, I have also had several conversations with Paul (he has been a great help and a real pleasure to deal with). Sent in my deposit and I have now secured my place in line.

Also since that time, I have taken your advice on getting more budget. Through a little strategic thinking and persuasive dialogue with the wife, I have gotten more budget. But, you know what they say, "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems". Now that I have more budget, I have found myself with two similarly priced options. I have also started to think that I want enough cook room for at least 8 briskets, 10 would be great (with space around each to ensure they cook right). I want to have the flexibility to use this for comps (I can't get a trailer - wont fit into my backyard where it will mostly be used) and for light catering for family and friend functions.

Which would you pick?

A) 24x54 Traditional (Barrel) with Elevated Warmer (36" instead of 24"), Extra Grate in the Warmer, Both Dampers, Searing Station, Probe Inserts for Wireless

B) 24x48 Cabinet Model with Standard Warmer, Both Dampers, Searing Station, Probe Inserts for Wireless

How do they stack up? A has more sq inches cook space. B has more clearance in the cook chamber. A has heavier doors (I am in my mid-thirties, weight not a concern right now). B looks cooler and can use the top as an extra shelf (I'm also guessing the top grate in main cooking chamber is bigger - is extra shelf that handy in that I will mostly be using this at home where space isn't an issue?). A has a taller Warmer and extra Shelf. I think I am leaning towards Option A, but I'm curious to see if you would go with B instead. Sorry for the long thread on this. I want this to last forever and want to make sure it's perfect.

Thanks for all your help!

I'm a cabinet for guy all the way! More room and you can have extra racks/tracks added. I have 4 but never used more than 3 but I could if I had to. Plus that would be the one thing I think I would regret not having the most.

I think for a little over a 100 bucks you can add a third great to your main cabinet. I would do that and go with the cabinet model.

Okay, I have a 24x65 with warmer with the traditional door. I'm 59 years old and in decent shape, but it is heavy. I have no problem with it now, but in 5-10 years who knows? I bought mine used from a brethren and don't regret it one bit. But if I was buying a new one I'd definitely opt for the cabinet doors. I can't say anything about all the other smokers you mentioned but like everyone says, you will not regret getting a Shirley. I have an XL BGE and love it too, but for BBQ I don't think you can beat a real stick burner. It's definitely more work, but worth it to me.

Mine is a trailer model with warmer (picture on my avatar). Having it on a trailer is nice, you can take on fishing, hunting, and camping trips. Or if you ever get the itch to cook for charities or cater you'll be set up. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on these forums say they regret getting their SF. I posted when I got mine that I was amazed at how easy it was to use, and I had absolutely no offset smoker experience. You will love it.

Back