Looking to add a new cooker - $4,000 budget

Thanks guys! As always.. Super helpful.. I have decided it'll be a vertical unit for the obvious benefits.. I will add a stick burner down the road... Now I need to decide who to go with.. Pretty much have it narrowed down to humphreys down east beast, Stumps XL Baby.. And the Lone Star Grillz cabinet... LSG seems to be best bang for the buck

Another option that is closer to home is BQ Grills. They build both Vertical Direct and Gravity fed smokers and are about 3 hours SW of you. Incredible quality, fantastic to work with, do a ton of custom work, and you can get to them in the event you need service for whatever reason.
http://www.bqgrills.com/

I second the motion for a Myron Mixon MMS36. You get the smoke flavor of a stick burner and the advantages of a water pan. The food I have tasted coming off one of these was amazing.

I've just upgraded to a Humphrey's pint from WSMs. I love it! From what I understand a DownEast Beast is the same as a Pint just taller with extra rack spaces.

Pros
Consistent burn times & temps
insulated
Easy to change casters
Heavy duty (will stand up to abuse)
Loads of space

Cons
Weight (My pint weight ~350 lbs, even with casters its a pain to move)

Good luck in your decision

Well, since no one else has thrown it out there yet. Look into an FEC-100, restaurants use them and they also win plenty of competitions.

I've just upgraded to a Humphrey's pint from WSMs. I love it! From what I understand a DownEast Beast is the same as a Pint just taller with extra rack spaces.

Pros
Consistent burn times & temps
insulated
Easy to change casters
Heavy duty (will stand up to abuse)
Loads of space

Cons
Weight (My pint weight ~350 lbs, even with casters its a pain to move)

Good luck in your decision

The weight is one reason I bought my Down East Beast over the LSG. If I recall, the LSG's are like 600 pounds or more. Makes movement problematic.

contact Smokinit, ie; Kevin Rundell, 518-488-1015, about Humphreys smokers, he has a ton of knowledge, won't pressure you and will do everything possible to emsure you get the right smoker for what you want to do. I own a downeast beast and cooking in the middle of winter or anytime is awesome even when it's in single digits. I added the cart for mine and my smoker rolls around like a dream. You will love a Humphrey's Smoker, I guarantee it.

Last edited:
My suggestion, talking from experience, is to make up a spread sheet with the specs, options you want and shipping costs so that you get the exact final cost. Some smokers have a lot of options that can add up quickly as opposed to others that are already loaded. You may be surprised. If you think it's big enough, go one size bigger. For example, I went up to the next size smoker, which doubled the capacity, for only $1000 more

^^^really good idea. Think I had a dozen insulated verticals in my spreadsheet before picking one. Really nice to see the numbers side by side.

Shirley. Just get it done. You will get 5 times the smoker of any of these for that price. You can do wood and get the charcoal basket and do longer cooks too. It is very versatile!

Hi I didn't know one can use a charcoal basket in Shirley for longer cooks. Tell me more?
Danb

you will not regret going with a Humphrey's. I used a Superior SS-1 for years and loved it. Sold it last year because I didn't need a smoker that big anymore. Bought a Humphreys Qub'ed Battle Box and absolutely love it. It hold temp extremely well and is is a miser on the briquettes. I can load up my charcoal tray and get 10 to 12 hours of burn on it.

Dave

I'd get one of those double big Assassin grills, the 72". You're going to be doing more than low and slow cooking might as well have something that's more versatile and grill IMO.

• 72” option- $1,149.99 LOCAL PICK UP + REQUIRED GA SALES TAX or $1599.98 crate/ freight flat fee (side shelf not included on 72” model)

• Expanded metal storage area (standard 36” - $25.00) 48” - $30.00, 72” - $55.00
  • BBQ Pit Master / Guru adapter (bolts to door via spin damper)
  • BBQ Pit Master IQ 120 ( Fan built in, food and pit probes included)
  • BBQ Pit Master IQ 110 ( Fan built in, pit probe only)
  • Choose a Custom color using the PPG paint system (only front insulated door.) Prices starting at $49.99.

If you want to burn through your whole wad then why not get a couple of them or add one of their smokers.

Get a 72" Assassin grill and smoker delivered for $4300

http://assassin-smokers.com/index.php

For $4000, you could get an Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker & an Assassin Charcoal Grill crated & delivered under budget. For just a bit over your $4K, you could upgrade to the Assassin 24. If you have a trailer, you could road trip down to GA & pick up & save on the shipping costs.

Jeff Conley at Assassin Smokers is one of the best in the business to work with. His products are all top quality and IMHO, you get the most bang for your buck with Assassin products.

Here is my recent review of the Assassin 17 GF: www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3565764

I have an Assassin 28 and love that thing. Made 7 racks of ribs for Father's Day. With the fan it's a no brainer. Set the temp with the fan and let it bump, go to sleep and let it cook.

Assassin 24 owner and agree with all the statements made both about the owners and the product. Can't go wrong with one.

Back