• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

TOTY Updated??

EatonHoggBBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Has the KCBS updated the TOTY list today?

TOTY list this morning
Munchin Hogs@the Hilton
Cool Smoke
Four Men & a Pig
PELLET ENVY
Smoky Mountain Smokers
Twin Oaks Smokin' Crew
Lotta Bull BBQ
Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
4 Legs Up BBQ
Quau

TOTY this afternoon
Munchin Hogs@the Hilton
Cool Smoke
Four Men & a Pig
PELLET ENVY
Smoky Mountain Smokers
Twin Oaks Smokin' Crew
Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
4 Legs Up BBQ
Lotta Bull BBQ
cancersuckschicago.com

and so on......

cool. I hope I keep moving up.... :roll:

Just curious as to how this works.

From KCBS TOTY list
..........................................place ..points
GREAT LAKES BBQ&FEED CO. ....185 ....1160
Great Lakes BBQ & Feed C ......2776 .....100

Two different entries/spellings. Is this a typo or did Ford change the spelling of his team name? There are more than just this one.

The "name spelling" problem is one that KCBS is reported to be grappling with.

Proper data base design would have a list of the teams so as the entry is entered, a drop down list would show with the team names to select from.
If a team has never competed before, it would be entered as a new team.

Unless (or until) they get the database fixed, it is going to take manual editing, and a lot of it, to keep the results posted with the proper team.

I wish them luck.

TIM

From KCBS TOTY list
..........................................place ..points
GREAT LAKES BBQ&FEED CO. ....185 ....1160
Great Lakes BBQ & Feed C ......2776 .....100

it is going to take manual editing, and a lot of it

Oy.
popeindespair.gif

I saw a couple teams that were listed multiple times. Is it too late for them to make these corrections? The awards ceremony isn't too far off.........

They did mention it in the bullsheet - and ask folks to call in and give the proper spelling, etc. to ensure that they got recorded appropriately. Just looking at your score sheets from each contest, you knew this was going to be an issue :)

I think they are working it, and updating... and then there were some contests that were just absent from the points, etc....

They did mention it in the bullsheet - and ask folks to call in and give the proper spelling, etc. to ensure that they got recorded appropriately. Just looking at your score sheets from each contest, you knew this was going to be an issue :)

Should this be an issue??

Mr C's Smoking&Grilling (2577)
Mr.C's Smoking & Grillin (4075)

Is there that much difference that it can't be figured out????

(this is from this mornings TOTY post on the KCBS website)

Should this be an issue??

Mr C's Smoking&Grilling (2577)
Mr.C's Smoking & Grillin (4075)

Is there that much difference that it can't be figured out????

(this is from this mornings TOTY post on the KCBS website)

Actually, yes.... that could be two teams.
For example.
Smoke on Wheels has cooked in two places at once... one as smoke on wheels and one as smoke on wheels.com

Grillin' vs. Grilling... could be a person "splitting" the team to be at two events.

Or for example Music City Pig Pals and Music City Slab Pals....

Validation from the teams is likely needed. Wouldnt want to make a false assumption, and merge scores that shouldnt be merged.

A perfect example is Great Grills of Fire and Great Grills o' Fire. Those are actually two totally different teams.

And I know a team in Iowa that goes by Smoker on Wheels - similarilies with some names are not uncommon.

We should be assigned numbers ASAP before too many teams get going this year, then each rep would get a block of numbers to assign to new teams throughout the year or KCBS could assign as the score sheets come through.

Maybe track points by head cook, then the database could be changed from head cook name to team name. Or by KCBS number (which doesn't help for non-KCBS teams, but why would KCBS keep track of non-active member teams? which would bring up membership expiration date). Then teams with multiple KCBS members would need to designate a head cook and always sign up under the same number (easy task to do, if the person who signs the team up knows the number - for instance my brother and I - sometimes he signs us up ... sometimes I do - just depends)

Okay heres a question, our team name is Butt-A-Bing BBQ, we are listed as being in 315th place. BUTT A BING BBQ is listed in 1620th place. I am wondering if those are our points also. I have seen our name both ways on scoresheets. I have also seen it without the BBQ on the end also. Combine the scores and we are in the 240's.

Chris

:?:

Chris, it's easy to figure out if they are yours or not. Go back and figure out your points based on finish and how many teams - for each comp. Then take the highest 10 points (if you did more then 10) from overall and from each catagory. Yes, it's OK to physically circle the 10 highest numbers for each (overall, chicken, ribs, pork, brisket) then add each of the circled numbers up by catagory and that will give you your point totals for overall and each catagory.

(if you already know how points are scored, sorry for the elaberate explanation - not intended to be interpreted as talken down to - for informational purposes only - now, I hope I explained it correctly)

Edit - better resource and explanation http://www.kcbs.us/rankings.php

I agree with boondoggle that we should be assigned numbers to use when we sign up for event's. I guess with this many teams the similarities in team name is bound to happen.

I cooked beside a Dazed and Confused team in Iowa once too - Smoker on Wheels was right across from us at the same comp.

When we decided in Oct to do our first competition I did my best to make sure that no other teams in the KCBS had our name. As far as I could tell we were safe. Since then I have seen 3 teams at comps with our name. Luckily none of them were on the rankings. Nothing you can do about it I guess.

Chris, it's easy to figure out if they are yours or not. Go back and figure out your points based on finish and how many teams - for each comp. Then take the highest 10 points (if you did more then 10) from overall and from each catagory. Yes, it's OK to physically circle the 10 highest numbers for each (overall, chicken, ribs, pork, brisket) then add each of the circled numbers up by catagory and that will give you your point totals for overall and each catagory.

(if you already know how points are scored, sorry for the elaberate explanation - not intended to be interpreted as talken down to - for informational purposes only - now, I hope I explained it correctly)

Edit - better resource and explanation http://www.kcbs.us/rankings.php

Thanks Bobby, we only did six comps so not too hard to figure. a quick tally has us at 239th instead of 315th. Maybe they'll figure it out. they had us at 369 on Sunday. So we're headed up!:biggrin:

Maybe this is a dumb question...is there a search button or something on the kcbs site to find your team name?
Or are you supposed to just scroll through all the names?

I think they are working it, and updating... and then there were some contests that were just absent from the points, etc....

I did call them after that article came out in the bullsheet....we constantly get "smokin scotsman" instead of "smokin scotsmen" even though we put it on the app. correctley.

We crunched the numbers last night and come up with over a 220 point discrepencey....would make a difference of 93rd vs being in the 60's somewhere. Will call tommorow and see what they say.

Maybe this is a dumb question...is there a search button or something on the kcbs site to find your team name?
Or are you supposed to just scroll through all the names?
once you have the page open, use the browser search. If it's explorer then the edit menu and find.

Back