Loin Back Problems

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've cooked a bunch of the loin-back ribs you can get from Costco, and I seem to have found a bit of an issue. I usually cook for 4 hours total @ close to 275. I will go 2 hours no foil, 1 hour foil, 1 hour to firm back up.

It seems like whenever I foil them I wind up over cooking the ribs, but when I try the same process minus the foil I'm not completely happy with the texture. The meat seems a wee bit too tough.

Should I try lowering the temp to 250 and using the same method or completely change how I cook them?

Advice is appreciated as I am super happy with my flavor right now, but not so much with the juiciness/texture quality varying so much.

Thanks!

I cook them at 250 and follow everything else you have done and I like the results. I usually don't need to go 1 hour at the end. Sometimes as short as 15 minutes, it depends on how they look at that point. I love the Costco BB. Really great that they are already stripped of the silver skin. Good luck with your cooks.

We do 250-260, foil at the 1.5 hour mark... 3.75 hours max. If we're in the 260 range longer than 250, I'll pull them off at 3.5 hours.

Jason,

The answer is in your question.

Simply reduce the time in foil, or a combination of cook and foil time, and find the "doneness" you desire.

Easey Peasey :-D

Happy Cooking.

TIM

I do something pretty similar. I run at 275, and do about an hour without foil, then an hour in foil, then off foil till they are at the exact texture I want them. I call it the 1-1-Till Done method.
I did three racks on Monday and it ended up being 1-1-1.5

I always cook my ribs on top of foil after a few hour 1/2 cover them when they done sauce and after 15 or so min pull them and wrap tight in foil.

yes, i would reduce the foil time first... then if that does not work, play with your pit temp.. by the way, what kind of cooker are you using?

I agree with reducing foil time.

Exactly.

What everyone else does is of no use to you. Just lower the foil time and keep everything else the same. If that doesn't do it, lower the foil time even more. You're steaming them too long.

This is an easy fix. Good luck.

yes, i would reduce the foil time first... then if that does not work, play with your pit temp.. by the way, what kind of cooker are you using?

I used my Bubba Keg this time around. I will be using my GMG DB pellet grill next time I do ribs.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'll just adjust the foil time for starts and go from there!

I do a 3-2 method, and my Ribs are rightous, I skip the last hour on the grill... I feel that this is useless time wasted

I do a 3-2 method, and my Ribs are rightous, I skip the last hour on the grill... I feel that this is useless time wasted

If someone were to follow the "recommended" 2-2-1 method for back ribs, they are taking the same amount of time as your 3-2 method. Just wanted you to be aware.

At the end of the day everyone does something a little different than the next guy. That's why I suggest tweaking what you are already doing vs. up and doing something completely different. Just makes it easier to hone your skill vs. shooting in the dark and hoping to luck on to something.

Back