• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Prague Powder #1 (Pink Salt)

hamiltont

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just bought a pound of Prague Powder #1 (Pink Salt) and it's not bright pink like I've seen in the past. It's barely pink. Has anyone else had this experience? Do manufactures vary the brightness of the pink dye? I'm wondering if it was "cut" which really concerns me since there wouldn't be as much Nitrite and could cause a health problem. Thanks!!!

I just bought a pound of Prague Powder #1 (Pink Salt) and it's not bright pink like I've seen in the past. It's barely pink. Has anyone else had this experience? Do manufactures vary the brightness of the pink dye? I'm wondering if it was "cut" which really concerns me since there wouldn't be as much Nitrite and could cause a health problem. Thanks!!!
Not all prague powder is pink. Some is slightly yellow and some is just white. The pink coloring is just so it doesn't get confused with plain salt which could result in an overdose.

I'm much more encouraged by your comments. Thanks for the quick feedback!! Awesome Forum we have here for sure! Cheers!!!

The pink coloring is added so that it won't be mistaken for ordinary salt.

Prague Powder is only meant to be used in very small quantities. That's why it's colored pink to prevent it from being mistaken for ordinary salt. Accidentally adding Prague Powder to food like normal salt wouldn't be good for you.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/seasoningflavoring/g/Prague-Powder-No-1.htm

So I guess intensity of the pink color is no big deal

kind of how they add the odor to gas for safety. and no I wasn't talking about farts :heh:

Back