Beginning UDS build - any final recommendations???

Clay-b-que

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am going to pickup my unlined drum today and I have all the parts. I am going with the standard build and will be using 1" intakes due to being at high altitude. I have a char broil doner grill and will use the lid and grates from that. Anything else anyone can think of??? Can't wait to join this UDS brotherhood and share some UDS pron! And YES I read every post of the master UDS thread. Thanks.

every post? That's dedication! I think that with all that under your belt you will be just fine.

Yep! Took about 3 months and I have a file with all my notes. So going off of that too even though several posts that I bookmarked have the pics taken down.

Just remember to keep it a simple build at first and it will be a great cooker. Then you can get fancy later with the raised pipe intakes and stacks for exhaust because those things will effect the performance.

Just remember to keep it a simple build at first and it will be a great cooker. Then you can get fancy later with the raised pipe intakes and stacks for exhaust because those things will effect the performance.

This. I built mine simple and nothing goes wrong. I added a wood shelf later but that was about it. It definitely makes it convenient. Other than that enjoy!

Make sure you have enough exhaust holes. That sounds like a common issue people have and then can't get temps high enough for chicken, etc.

Theres some great wisdom in this statement. I built my first one as simple as they come and it works great. Built a second one and pimped it out. Guess what, my first one is my go to UDS. Works way better than my new one.
LESSON LEARNED: Can't beat simple!

X2 on keeping it simple. If I had another crack at it, I would have designed it to where I could raise the fire basket on it to grill. I can now, but the rack sits on the basket because it's too high. You should have more flexibility with a dome lid. And I would have had two 1" ball va les instead of one in order to have more control of temps, but that can always be added later. Or scratch the pipe nipples and just use a big poppa / Bge slider intake.

Thanks for the reminders. I am going the norco simple route with no bells or whistles. I got the nipples welded in yesterday. I WAY underestimated then thickness of the metal when I started welding and welded a hole into the metal. Make sure your welders are on a low setting to start! Got it filled in and also welded on 6 grate holders. Also positioned the lid hinges and fabricated some spacers so it would fit. Need to get the 18.5 grate for the basket today as well as another 22.5 grate and wood stove gasket for the lid, but I may try it without due to elkhorns post above??? Thoughts on exhaust?

I bought a cheap Walmart 22.5 kettle and used the cooking grate and lid to build my UDS and have had no issues with just the daisy wheel on the top. If using the flat barrel lid the concensus is to use the 8 evenly space holes to give it enough exhaust to draft properly. You could use the big hole in the lid but I have heard that it creates a hot spot under the hole from all the air drafting out that specific area.

If I want to cook with gas I turn the knob on the stove. :p The simpler you make it the better it will preform. Three things that make life easy on a UDS> side table, a lid hook & and ash pan attached to the bottom of the basket.

Okay so today I finished the basket. They should not call this an Ugly Drum Smoker they should call it the Ugly Basket Smoker. I tried to bend it into shape using the propane barrel and bent it in weird ways. They I thought I had enough expanded for it but I was 6 inches short so had to weld another piece on. Anyway, it is way uglier than the drum. Also added the stove gasket and it is drying as I type. I will try to figure out the picture thing and see if I can post some pics. I am finishing up final things tonight for a seasoning run tomorrow. Hope everything works as it should!!!

If I want to cook with gas I turn the knob on the stove. :p The simpler you make it the better it will preform. Three things that make life easy on a UDS> side table, a lid hook & and ash pan attached to the bottom of the basket.

Thanks Blu. Funny you said that I was just looking at a picture I saved of a side table made from the lid. I think I am going that route since I am not using it on the drum.

Well I read everything about how to make one and made one. Now, how do I run it??? I poured in 3/4 a bag of kingsford and got it going with my weed burner and put the basket in the can and closed the lid. Other than that, I am at a loss!!! When do I close the nipples?what temp? What temp should I season it at? What temps should I test? I will be doing a fatty and pork shoulder on Saturday. What should I do now???

Don't know if this is right, but it got up to 400 so I closed one of the nipples. It went down to 375. I just put the other nipple cover on and left the ball valve open to see what it will do. Any other thoughts???

See what it settles at. You might have to run with one nipple off and use the ball valve to adjust the temp. You can run it at whatever temp you like, I personally like to run hot and fast, 325° +.

Thats about right, I usually start mine with the valve open and nipples off, as the temp hits 200 I put the nipples back on and leave the ball valve open, that runs my UDS right at 250. You will have to experiment and see what settings cause what temps but once you figure that out you will be able to set your intakes every time.

Well as I said, it got to 400, put a cap on. Went to 375 after a half hour, then put the other cap on. Went to 350 after a half hour. Put the valve half closed and it went to 175 after an hour. I just opened everything back up to get the temp back up and will start the expirement all over again. I am going to try what Aussie said above. Never thought of running one nipple open and adjusting the ball valve.
More to come.

Back