A Guam Style Brisket

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Not sure what to call this. It's a recipe from friend Rueben in Guam. He and his wife Lupe are wonderful cooks and this is a recipe they shared with me a couple of years ago. Rueben said it's one way they like to prep briskets and he takes it with him while hiking.

Here's the last batch I made. I love the stuff!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196781

the brisket was between 14 and 15lbs..

b2a5156a-56dc-4b48-8192-b193609db6f1_zpscdmd69we.jpg

I didn't trim it, just sliced it into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices...

721ea08c-f8a1-4153-ac26-db9076f415ff_zpsyrauxcyr.jpg

6954cdb2-686c-432a-b769-29acdaf51394_zpsqkrokkwp.jpg

into the marinade overnight...

1/2 cup Kosher salt;
2 cups brown sugar
3 tbsp Mortons Tenderquick Home Meat Cure
3 tbsp minced fresh Ginger
1/2 cup of soy sauce
4 quarts of water

b063581b-83da-43a0-ab74-650052e6eb07_zpshtc4kxo3.jpg

removed the cooking grate from the Hasty Bake, hung the strips of brisket on the top rack...

15e6ba84-75c8-49ed-9050-0588f5c421c9_zpsiduennkq.jpg

0dc340df-d87a-4dca-a4c5-24855e195bab_zpskzcxrmja.jpg

the hot coals are about 1 1/2 ft or so from the meat. I need to measure to be sure.
I smoked with the hood closed but had flare ups whenever I opened it to check the meat. The fat from the strips dripped onto the hot coals..

414057bd-afbf-42d7-9191-04aed99b1748_zps2dspscc5.jpg

f6b0762a-713c-4571-93de-a3b57dce6ee0_zpssdz4xfcu.jpg

7d3763a8-35ef-424b-ba66-60fed51b2153_zpsmhwxnln9.jpg

it smelled SO good...

a7331f98-6d68-4bbf-860e-7321ebab09ae_zpsbcoerylz.jpg

I pulled the smaller pieces off after 4 hours...

7bed747d-489d-4202-8389-c4a9c4d03722_zpsr8fjahxm.jpg

52fa2249-9a12-45ff-986e-b0d754ed28e4_zps0plzc2pc.jpg

the rest smoked for 6+ hours...

chuck%20fry%20bread%20guam%20brisket%20089_zps2qj2nlw4.jpg

chuck%20fry%20bread%20guam%20brisket%20035_zpsd95433je.jpg

chuck%20fry%20bread%20guam%20brisket%20041_zpsmlap36ir.jpg

chuck%20fry%20bread%20guam%20brisket%20090_zpszawfwejr.jpg

the meat is plump, juicy and tender. It's one of my favorite ways to prep brisket.

chuck%20fry%20bread%20guam%20brisket%20110_zpscmtbjmjo.jpg

I divided it up, bagged some for the freezer and bagged some to take camping with me this week.

Sorry for so many pics again!

Thanks for looking!

I forgot about this, looks like a new way to try
Thank you Bob! It's something different. I really love the flavor and can make a meal out of a couple slices. :grin:

Dang that looks good! I've made jerky out of a brisket before but, uh, not on purpose...
lol I've done that too. :becky: This stuff doesn't keep on the shelf like dried beef so I freeze it. Takes awhile for me to work my way through 14lbs of beef. Thanks HOG FAN! :grin:

Holy Smokes that looks good. I am not a big brisket fan unless it is pastrami. I haven't thought about slicing and doing it that way. I wonder what char Siu brisket would be like...?? Maybe better that pork, especially if done with the point...

Holy Smokes that looks good. I am not a big brisket fan unless it is pastrami. I haven't thought about slicing and doing it that way. I wonder what char Siu brisket would be like...?? Maybe better that pork, especially if done with the point...

Thanks Marty! I bet a char siu brisket would be wonderful. The brisket is sliced fairly thick so it remains plump and juicy, not like jerky. I just love the stuff. :grin:

wow. This thread lit a light in my conscience unrelated to fire and smoke.

Have used a corned beef recipe from the book Nourishing Traditions a few times. It's basically wet curing a brisket at room temp for a few days. Some cures have gone well and others came out tough as hell.

Until now didn't consider portioning the brisket before the cure

I'm going to have to try this. Looks great

Those long days fishing on the Ocean are coming up, this would be a great snack to have on hand!
Great tutorial Jeanie, looks easy enough. Have great time camping!

I spent a lifetime one year on Guam back in 85 & 86. I ate some good stuff but I never had this. Book marked this one I'll be on the lookout for a baby brisket ( 9-10 lber) As I'm running out of Freezer space. I like your choice of cutlery too. Is that an original Old Timer made in the USA Deer slayer or a Taylor knockoff???

Thank you Randy!

Looks great. Your knife looks cool also. What type is it?
It's an Old Timer with a schrade blade. They are my favorites. Thanks Toraboy!

wow. This thread lit a light in my conscience unrelated to fire and smoke.

Have used a corned beef recipe from the book Nourishing Traditions a few times. It's basically wet curing a brisket at room temp for a few days. Some cures have gone well and others came out tough as hell.

Until now didn't consider portioning the brisket before the cure
Thanks! That sounds interesting, hope it works out well for you!

Enrico, thanks so much!!

Thanks Adams, Have a great week! :)

Those long days fishing on the Ocean are coming up, this would be a great snack to have on hand!
Great tutorial Jeanie, looks easy enough. Have great time camping!

Thank you Sam, Your long days of Ocean fishing sound great!! I envy you. :-D
Getting packed and almost ready to head out. I'm looking forward to quiet time by the lake. If I'm lucky, I might catch a fish or two. :)

Ribeye, thank you! The HB works great for this recipe. I love the cooker, it's so versatile. :thumb:

Jim, thank you! I've got a bag of this packed to snack on at the lake. :grin:

KORND4WG, Thanks!! Hope you give it a try sometime!

I spent a lifetime one year on Guam back in 85 & 86. I ate some good stuff but I never had this. Book marked this one I'll be on the lookout for a baby brisket ( 9-10 lber) As I'm running out of Freezer space. I like your choice of cutlery too. Is that an original Old Timer made in the USA Deer slayer or a Taylor knockoff???

Thank you Bludawg! It's an Old Timer with the schrade blade. I have two this size and several others. They are my favorites.
Lookin' forward to your brisket cook, good luck with it! :grin:

Very cool Jeanie! I have yet to try this or any other cured beef dishes, aside from pastrami. Another world to explore - thanks for putting all this awesome stuff in our minds!

Thanks Greg! :-D
I'm thinkin' there are a lot of great flavors that could be used as a marinade. I like the plump slices almost better than thinner jerky sized strips.
Just something different for a change.
Have a great week!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back