Wagyu or CAB

Lucky7Cookers

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Going to try cooking a couple Wagyu briskest for comp this coming weekend. I usually cook CAB or superiors, wasn't sure if anyone had any input either way. I was told by the butcher that they cook faster and like a little hotter temp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would start with what's working for you on a CAB. They cook a bit differently, but not enough that you need to make any drastic changes in technique. Mine seem to finish a few degrees warmer than CAB, but either one needs to be cooked to tenderness anyway.

At our last comp we cooked a Gold SRF brisket and a CAB, both finished close to each other, we use our thermopen to probe and I remember the SRF was somewhere around 209, while the CAB was 203 when they probed their best, we turned in the SRF and took 1st :)

Normally we cook two SRF's, but with prices going crazy, we decided that we would just grab a CAB for a back-up. There was a large difference in tenderness between the two, especially in the burnt ends.

At our last comp we cooked a Gold SRF brisket and a CAB, both finished close to each other, we use our thermopen to probe and I remember the SRF was somewhere around 209, while the CAB was 203 when they probed their best, we turned in the SRF and took 1st :)

Normally we cook two SRF's, but with prices going crazy, we decided that we would just grab a CAB for a back-up. There was a large difference in tenderness between the two, especially in the burnt ends.

What he said.
I've cooked Choice, Prime, various Wagyu from different suppliers.
The SRF has always produced the best product in my opinion.

I cooked a Waygu and CAB this weekend at comp. Both were 16.5 lbs untrimmed. The Waygu finished two hours sooner. There is less stall with the Waygu.

Wagyu vs. CAB is so last year.

Now it's Wagyu vs. Gold Wagyu.

Or even SRF Graded Gold Wagyu vs. some dude in his basement buying regular Wagyu and reselling the nicer ones as "Gold" for twice the price.

:pop2:

SRF Please :clap2:

I dont know, I cook creekstone primes. Just one, hot and fast or low and slow, I usually do well

I learned that tip from here, cook one, its your baby.

I cook a SRF and a prime for contests.. I think I'll switch to all primes next year.

Wagyu vs. CAB is so last year.

Now it's Wagyu vs. Gold Wagyu.

Or even SRF Graded Gold Wagyu vs. some dude in his basement buying regular Wagyu and reselling the nicer ones as "Gold" for twice the price.

:pop2:

The basement dude has delivered some pretty nice briskets to me. I'll gladly pay extra for someone to hand select for me. SRF is fantastic product but sometimes its a crap shoot as to what shows up. One of my basement dude "gold" briskets:

10516812_10152270290402157_2732186865080429883_n.jpg

The basement dude has delivered some pretty nice briskets to me. I'll gladly pay extra for someone to hand select for me. SRF is fantastic product but sometimes its a crap shoot as to what shows up.

I think it's a great idea, but why not be honest about it? It's a selection service. Why put a picture of a Gold SRF Brisket on your website, and say you are selling "Gold" briskets, when what you are really doing is hand picking ungraded Imperial Wagyu and selling them at two different price points?

When "the dude" gets called out for doing that on Facebook, and your response is to ask Facebook to delete the whole thread, it makes the whole thing seem kind of shady. Personally, it makes me want to spend my money elsewhere.

:focus:

The real question is: Is there a new top of the brisket food chain? Is regular wagyu going to get the job done, or is SRF Gold or a hand picked "goldish" brisket the new normal? There are lots of "Is Wagyu worth it?" threads on here, and now we have a "CAB vs. Prime vs. Wagyu vs. Gold Wagyu" picture to consider.

I haven't cooked a Gold yet, but I will be.

The reason (if anyone really gives a poop) I am thinking of going to all prime, is because my Costco is carrying them now.. at a mile from work, I can go in there at any time, and pick out the ones I want.. if there's a nice one, I'll buy it and freeze it.. if not... oh well... maybe next time.. Starting to make more logical sense to spend $70 on a brisket, than $150+ on one that might not be nice.

The basement dude has delivered some pretty nice briskets to me. I'll gladly pay extra for someone to hand select for me. SRF is fantastic product but sometimes its a crap shoot as to what shows up. One of my basement dude "gold" briskets:

10516812_10152270290402157_2732186865080429883_n.jpg

Damn! I would pay someone to pick that one for me!

The reason (if anyone really gives a poop) I am thinking of going to all prime, is because my Costco is carrying them now.. at a mile from work, I can go in there at any time, and pick out the ones I want.. if there's a nice one, I'll buy it and freeze it.. if not... oh well... maybe next time.. Starting to make more logical sense to spend $70 on a brisket, than $150+ on one that might not be nice.

Sounds like a good plan. Nothing more disappointing than opening that box of $200/ea briskets to find the flats a bit thin and the marbling not as good as last time.

Maybe wet age those primes too?

Sounds like a good plan. Nothing more disappointing than opening that box of $200/ea briskets to find the flats a bit thin and the marbling not as good as last time.

Maybe wet age those primes too?

Not a bad idea either, chris.. I have one of those Johnson controls refrigerator contollers. Could do a consistent job I think.

The reason why I've been thinking more and more about primes, is that some of them have had marbling that have been incredible. Flats are really nice too. I have a 16# SRF and a 20# prime that looks as thick as a meatloaf for the contest this weekend.. It'll be interesting on which one makes it to the box.

SRF was getting too inconsistent. Even when you get a 18# brisket, it wold be so wide that the flat was still only an inch thick.

Back