What did my wife buy me?

12ring

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score

My mother in law and wife asked me to cook steaks for the 4th of July weekend. I said no problem. They asked me what kind of steaks. I said I'll get some prime ribeye's from Costco. I always like to buy the meat because I go through every package picking what I think looks best.

When I got home today, there were 7 steaks in the refrigerator. 3 prime New York strips and these 4 here. The problem is I don't really know what they are or the best way to go about cooking them.

Lately I have been loving a reverse seared ribeye topped with sautéed onions, mushrooms, a splash of soy sauce and melted pepper jack cheese. Will these steaks like to be cooked the same way or should I go with another cooking method?

Thanks

Those are just ribeyes without the cap on top. They will be damn good eats but it sucks there is no cap. They seperate the caps and roll them up and make cap of ribeye steaks....those are the best. They basically robbed the best part off your ribeye but they will still turn out awesome. Just cook like you would any steak.

Yea it's really weird how Costco sells them separately for the Prime. They have no problem keeping the cap intact for the Choice.

Grill them right over the coals 4-5 minutes a side should do the trick on them.

Cook them like any other steak.

They'll still be awesome as they have some great marbling!

Those are JUNK!!!

Send them here and I'll properly dispose of them for ya! :biggrin1:

I would cook indirect to 125°, pull them off for a quick rest and get the charcoal roaring hot then put them back on direct for a minute on each side.

Those will melt in your mouth!

Cool thanks for the responses. I wanted to take them back for full ribeye's but I'll just grill them and let the ladies eat those little steaks. I guess I'll have to be more clear to her next time when I Say "I'll go get the steaks." Not that they are no good but I would prefer the entire ribeye.

...I would cook indirect to 125°, pull them off for a quick rest and get the charcoal roaring hot then put them back on direct for a minute on each side.

Those will melt in your mouth!

What he said EXACTLY.

I had never seen those before either, and when I was shopping for steaks to cook on Father's day, I saw those and figured out what they were so I ended up buying the caps that were rolled and tied........Oh man were those good! The cap is my favorite part of the ribeye!

The deckle is my wife's favorite part, so it's easy for us to split a steak. It's a shame they cut them so thin, or perhaps they aren't as thin as they look in the pic?

DAMN 20$ a pound. Heb has prime steaks for 8$ @ pound right now

Long live Texas

Love the marbling. Those should be tender.

Yeah, they look a little thin. I would skip the reverse sear and just do it direct for a couple mins per side.

Back