need time/temp for 60-75lb whole hog on Lang 60

LuckyBum

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking 225 to 250 , how long should i expect a smaller 60-70lb whole hog to take on a Lang 60D? Going to be using Pecan and Cherry wood. Also any recommendations for rub/injection?

Thanks,

Ryan Rothert

I cooked a 80 lb halved hog on my Lang 48 last Xmas. It took around 12-13 hrs with my cooking temp closer to 225. The weather was cold and rainy through out the cook, but I must say the Lang did it's thang!! I would place the head towards the firebox end shooting for target temps of 200 at shoulders and 190 in the hams. The injection I used was my variation Chris Lilly's pork injection. Rubbed with plowboys yard bird, and my homemade rub. This was my first one and it turned out perfect!!!

I've cooked a few 60-70# pigs on my Klose racer style. I keep temp at around 250 (this is at the far end from the firebox, and it's a direct flow so it'll be hotter towards the firebox - the temps get closer as the cook progresses, ending up around 25 degrees apart a few hours into the cook). I allow around 10 hours cook time and spin the grate with the pig on it every couple/few hours. I look for around 190 in the shoulders and hams, but more importantly I feel for the probe tenderness.

You may want to mix your wood some, cherry will darken the pig right much.
Wont hurt to cook a little hotter.
Have fun.

Later,
Doug

thanks good info. Why the head towards the firebox?

The firebox side is hotter. Placing the head on that end it exposes the shoulders to a higher temp than the hams. The shoulders contains more fat and connective tissue to render than the hams. Think of poultry, white meat vs dark meat, with the shoulders being dark, and the hams the white meat. It allows for a more even cook.
Hope this helps.

Back