• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cutting wood with a chain saw

S

Smoker

I want to cut the logs into 7 inch pieces using my chainsaw.
Does anyone worry about the bar oil getting on the wood?

I'm with Phil on this. Never worried about the oil.

I've been using a chainsaw for years on wood, and have never noticed any oil on the the cut ends. Like Phil said, I worry more about blood since my foot is about 1 inch from the saw blade when I am cutting them. Sure does make the wifey nervous.

Bar oil has never bothered me at all. However, I have OD'd on Bar Spirits before.

Aeynghus said:
The chainsaw is one of man's best inventions.
Here here!! Noise, danger, smoke, destruction! What more could you want besides a bigger saw?

You could always use veggie oil instead of regular bar/chain oil...

James.

All the wood I smoke with I cut using a chain saw and never have noticed any oil on the logs. However, I wouldn't use the woodchips because they do contain a lot of bar oil.

I use the several chain saws they all use vegetable oil based bar oil. Here in VA it costs about $.50 more per gallon but never a problem with the bar, the chain, the oiler or the chain driver. In fact Husvarna only recommends vegetable based bar oil.

Interesting, I never heard of vegetable based bar oil. is that a Vegan saw? Heard about them, cut nothing but fruits and vegetables. I guess after the movie Texas Chain Saw Massacres a lot of saws went vegan. I'm thinking you could use left over deep frying oil from your local fast food joint. Sort of a bio saw. But I think Niel is right about most of the oil being in the wood chips. If you think about, it makes sense.

Hoorenga said:
Interesting, I never heard of vegetable based bar oil. is that a Vegan saw? Heard about them, cut nothing but fruits and vegetables. I guess after the movie Texas Chain Saw Massacres a lot of saws went vegan. I'm thinking you could use left over deep frying oil from your local fast food joint. Sort of a bio saw. But I think Niel is right about most of the oil being in the wood chips. If you think about, it makes sense.

I hope mine stays a vegan!:confused:

[font=ARIAL,HELVETICA]This is just one of the 40,000 links about bar lube.

SoyLINK™ is used for lubrication in chainsaw bar, blade, and saw-guide applications. Chainsaw bar oils are classified as a "total loss lubricant" – in the process of use, they are flung from the machine and lost directly to the surrounding environment. When petroleum oils are used, they pose an environmental and human health danger. Vegetable oils, on the other hand, do not.

http://www.carbohydrateeconomy.org/...ohydrate_Economy_Bulletin_Volume_1_Numb_5.htm
[/font]

Gotta say I like the idea of vegetable oil for chain lube. I'm gonna talk to my supplier about getting me some.

Back