HELP! Spatchcock Notes MIA

Akabezer

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Backstory; finishing remodel with portion of kitchen still in office including notes of previous spatchcock cooks.

Problem; cook time for 22 lb Turkey/s. The hubs says it was over an hour. I’m thinking 3ish. Searching the Brethren posts of course brings a range of coking times depending on size of bird, temp and grill, all of which require consideration. But I have yet to find enough common variables to acquire a comfortable cook window.

Knowns:
Two 22 lb spatchcock turkeys with slight dry brine and buttered herb injection
Been able to keep Shirley around 300/325 on previous cooks

Question - is three to four hours for two 22 lb birds at 300D sound right?

TIA

Backstory; finishing remodel with portion of kitchen still in office including notes of previous spatchcock cooks.

Problem; cook time for 22 lb Turkey/s. The hubs says it was over an hour. I’m thinking 3ish. Searching the Brethren posts of course brings a range of coking times depending on size of bird, temp and grill, all of which require consideration. But I have yet to find enough common variables to acquire a comfortable cook window.

Knowns:
Two 22 lb spatchcock turkeys with slight dry brine and buttered herb injection
Been able to keep Shirley around 300/325 on previous cooks

Question - is three to four hours for two 22 lb birds at 300D sound right?

TIA

Meat does not cook by time it Cooks by temperature. I imagine those big of a birds I would think four and a half to five hours.

At 300 degrees, you're probably still looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes per pound.

Use an instant read thermometer if you don't have a probe setup. Start checking after 1½-2 hours (also a good time to flip spatchcock birds) in the heat to see where you're at.

I find poultry best when done hot & fast. 400° no water pan in the WSM.

Use an instant read thermometer if you don't have a probe setup. Start checking after 1½-2 hours (also a good time to flip spatchcock birds) in the heat to see where you're at.

I find poultry best when done hot & fast. 400° no water pan in the WSM.

You flip it so breast is down?

You flip it so breast is down?
No. Start them breast side down then flip to breast side up to finish.

Thinking about it, I led you astray. Do not leave a spatchcocked turkey breast-side down for more than 30 minutes.

I spatchcock and cook at 325 on my smoker, no additional wood, breast side up, legs and thighs on the back side for higher heat. The higher heat gives me crisp, better bite-through skin. I don't flip.

At 325, the smoker is just like an oven.

I use a temp monitor on the breast meat on the cook. When it hits 165, I'll probe the entire bird with an instant read thermometer to check that have I have 175 or above on the thighs, and 165 on the breast.

If I'm there, I pull, cover, and rest.

I'm smoking a 17 pound bird tomorrow - looking at three to three and a half hours of cook time.

Last edited:
No. Start them breast side down then flip to breast side up to finish.

Thinking about it, I led you astray. Do not leave a spatchcocked turkey breast-side down for more than 30 minutes.

Why do you flip? What is the advantage?

I spatchcock and cook at 325 on my smoker, no additional wood, breast side up, legs and thighs on the back side for higher heat. The higher heat gives me crisp, better bite-through skin.

Thanks, I don’t recall how I placed it last year but will now be sure to put the legs in the back!

Back