Nice add on for the weber!

Can't hardly tell what it is by crappy pic on that link but I wouldn't drop $79 on any gizmo for a $99 grill.

Two $3 fire bricks do the same for the cost of shipping. Savings $79

A water reserver is not needed if you have a handle on controlling your kettles temp.
"8+ hours unattended". This is easy if you just pile some unlit charcoal against the side of the bowl and add a few lit coals.
“low-n-slow” (225-250F) operation with a single charcoal fill " Ditto
*Go from low-n slow to high-heat sear in a matter of minutes just by opening your kettle vents!" Opening the vents costs nothing.
"Quality workmanship and enduring stainless steel contruction will last longer than your kettle." Since the product is not needed to produce quality food, Weber quality will do.

I have no need to control temps. Only reason I would use it is reverse sear.

It looks like a modification to the Smokenator insert. Both are simple baffles and serve as a heat shield while smoking.

If you are only wanting to sear on your kettle, look at the hover grill on the Smokenator site. You can use this on the low grate to raise to coals closer to the cooking grate. Some have also just used the chimney starter with a grate over the top to get some high heat on steaks.

Fire Bricks are a lot cheaper and give more options on how you can configure your coals. The only kit I would spend money on is the Cajun Bandit Stacker with a Charcoal Ring and Heat Diffuser, it basically turns your kettle into a WSM. If I didn't have a WSM I would get a CB Stacker.

The price is almost what the grill is, not worth it.

Full Disclosure, I am the owner of Adrenaline Barbecue Company, which sells this product. Before making up your minds on the merits of the Slow 'N Sear I just want to point out our informational page ,our customer reviews page and the Slow 'N Sear review on AmazingRibs. We are getting GREAT feedback from everyone who has used the Slow 'N Sear.

http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!products/cab8
Well this link offers a picture of the product not in use which helped me understand it better. The picture in the link above is difficult at best to view the product. It also didn't enlarge when clicked on.

It's true that the Kettle has many make shift mods that do a lot of what this product does but this is like the better mouse trap. It has all the historical knowledge of getting more out of the kettle wrapped into a neat unit. Yeah it is a bit pricy compared to the kettle but we also have to understand that it creates a whole new cooker for those who use it. The two items are still considerably less than a WSM and stainless steel isn't cheap. Especially stainless good enough not to deteriorate under high temp. I wish I had gotten the call to test these units out. I could see this fitting a need on my team. We use a single FEC for most of our cook and this would fit in nicely.

$79? No thanks. I can manage a fire on my own (for free) just fine.

"It's true that the Kettle has many make shift mods that do a lot of what this product does"
In my opinion, the term "make shift" is inappropriate. I would term them flexible. In place of the one fixed setup this product offers, things like firebricks may be custom arranged to suit a given cook, placing the coals to match the shape of the meat. The loss of usable grate space,
071568_4c07bee6dc324f7b8f6b0bdfe2d82101.png_srz_p_190_198_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

to me, is the greatest problem with this product.

It looks similar to my mod on the kettle plus I have a plate for the coal grate that covers it over to the baffle that only allows airflow through the coals. I made mine from leftover material from another job and about 30 minutes of my time.

p891492294.gif

Look at all the different ways to arrange coals in this picture,
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

and wonder why you would want to limit yourself to the second one only. When you add a couple of fire bricks to hold the coals closer to the sides, if desired, even more grill space is available.

$79? No thanks. I can manage a fire on my own (for free) just fine.

Each Slow 'N Sear is made from 5 pounds of 304 Stainless Steel. As part of the manufacturing process we pay a welder in Kentucky for 1/2 hour of his time, minimum, to weld each unit. It costs a lot to make a Slow 'N Sear. If you read our reviews page you'll see our customers feel buying the SnS was a great investment and offers great improvements over previous methods and accessories they've used. Don't knock it til you've tried it:grin:

Last edited:
Each Slow 'N Sear is made from 5 pounds of 304 Stainless Steel. As part of the manufacturing process we pay a welder in Kentucky for 1/2 hour of his time, minimum, to weld each unit. It costs a lot to make a Slow 'N Sear. If you read our reviews page you'll see our customers feel buying the SnS was a great investment and offers great improvements over previous methods and accessories they've used. Don't knock it til you've tried it:grin:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like I posted before, I have the same setup for the cost of shipping.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like I posted before, I have the same setup for the cost of shipping.

I agree you have a great low cost solution. If you're satisfied that's all that matters.

You do not have the same setup, though, and for a little higher investment the Slow 'N Sear offers improved results.

I can't find the post, but someone a while back wrapped wire around several steel cans to form them into a wall across the coal grate, and filled them with water. It seemed to work quite similar.

Back