YS 640 or Lang 36 hybrid

RandyMan

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to step up from a MES smoker in the next few months and wondering what you all would get between these two. I dont want to go to a WSM or UDS.
I also understand that one is a pellet and the other on offset. I'm leaning toward the yoder for ease, but want to get a good quality smoke on my meats. Also what the ability to smoke over 300 degrees at time. Please give your input.

I don't know anything about the Lang, so I can't comment on it, but I've read and read about the Yoders and I haven't found a farker yet that wasn't extremely pleased w/ the purchase. The YS640 w/ the comp cart is on my wish list.

Never used a Lang, but my YS640 is a keeper. Smoke ring and/or smoke flavor is there at low temps. Spatch-cock chicken or pizza at high temps. Set and forget it as long (as you keep hopper full!)

Never used a Lang, but my YS640 is a keeper. Smoke ring and/or smoke flavor is there at low temps. Spatch-cock chicken or pizza at high temps. Set and forget it as long (as you keep hopper full!)

Great to hear! Can you smoke @ 300+ degrees with it?

Randy man, this is a tough choice to comment on. All I can do is ask questions that you need to ask yourself. When you "Q" do you like to set it and forget it or do you like to be involved with it through out the cook? Do you easily have quality woods available for a stick burner? How much time do you generally have? I see you live in Indiana. I would think the YS640 would be easier for year-round cooking. The short answer is, get both. One this year and the other next year! :)

Great to hear! Can you smoke @ 300+ degrees with it?

Define "Smoke" The YS640 will run at 600F, but little smoke at that temp.
We are burning wood pellets so there is some smoke.

I will not ask why you want to smoke above 300! I will state that the YS640 will hold 225F for 19 hours!

^^^There is also the smoke tubes for extra smoke. Just purchased a YS640 4 days ago...2 cooks already and love it. Real stable temps and plenty of smoke at low temps. I ran 225 the first time and 275 for the second...nice smoke rings both times. I used a 12 in tube on my last cook when I had some beans in there as well...great smoke flavor! There was still good smoke at 275 without the tube...but I wanted a heavier smoke flavor with beans under the meat and it was great! If you get the Yoder be sure to get the second shelf. If you are not having to move it onto trailers and events regularly I would skip the comp cart and spend the extra $475 on pellets and meat:grin: You can also purchase the comp cart at a later date and it is an easy drop in change. I watched them switch one for a customer last week when I was at ATBBQ in Wichita. The Yoders are built like Tanks...very tight tolerances also...wish my last trucks doors aligned as well as the door on my YS640.:rolleyes:

The build quality of a Yoder is much better than a Lang. I can tell you that much since I own both. You are asking about apples and oranges. Do you want to tend a fire or do you want to set it and forget it? I've owned a YS640 and currently own a YS1500 (selling it). Both were good pits, but the YS1500 is big step above in heft and mine was particularly well put together with good fitment of all parts.

If I was going to buy a pellet cooker today, it would probably be a GMG with WIFI. For the price, they are hard to beat.

I received my Yoder YS480 about four weeks ago and I've been extremely happy so far, I have done a couple of cooks at 275 and 325 that came out fine with a mild smoke flavor.
As others have said you can always use a smoke tube for additional flavor if needed.
Love the fact that I can get over 14hrs on 20lbs of pellets, made in the USA and it is built like a tank.

John

Back