offset problem

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'll have pics up later. Picked up my new used offset. Thing has been runnin awhile but I can't seem to get rid of the thick smoke. Been an over an hour.
Could it be from wood not being dry enough?

I don't want to throw ribs on with this thick smoke.

Leave the door open at least part way until the wood really gets going. If it won't burn with a flame it's probably no seasoned or dry. Also put a few sticks on top of the firebox so they catch fire as soon as you throw them in.

Leave the door open at least part way until the wood really gets going. If it won't burn with a flame it's probably no seasoned or dry. Also put a few sticks on top of the firebox so they catch fire as soon as you throw them in.

Thanks. The guy who sold me the pit said the hickory he gave me maybe not as dry as he would like. He gave some dry apple and said throw the hickory on top once apple gets lit.

I may run to my buddy's he has dry cherry and cherry is my fav.

I did have a nice flame. I put ribs on it's a little better but wish it was a little cleaner.

Thank you.

You have your exhaust wide open, right? I leave my exhausts open (in fact in the last restoration/modification to my big RF I eliminated my exhaust dampers altogether). Then keep your intakes open and if necessary open the door a little until you get s smsll, hot & clean fire then control the heat with the intakes.

Back