Check Cashing Question

deez butts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

We did a contest that allowed the teams to sell samples. The attendees paid with tickets and the organizer sent a check afterwards. The check was made out to my team name though. I brought the check to the bank and they refused to cash it saying that it was made out to a business and my accounts aren't business accounts. Anyone else have a problem like this or is it just my bank? Asking because I didn't want to bother the organizer in having to cut a new check.

Thanks! :thumb:

I've never had an issue, but I know others that have. Did you talk to a manager?

I've never had an issue, but I know others that have. Did you talk to a manager?

I did not, my wife is the one that goes to the bank. Maybe I'll have to find some time to go in.

That is standard banking procedure - unless you have filed your team name as a DBA, there is no way for the bank to know if you are authorized to cash the check. Otherwise, anyone who got possession of a check written to a business would be able to cash it!

Same thing at my bank...had to get another check made out in my name..just took a little time. Only happened once, not any problems this year so maybe organizers are getting a clue.

I've had a similar problem. The last contest where I got a check, the organizers wrote our names above our team names after awards. My bank (Chase) still gave me a hard time, but ended up taking it.

I've been able to do it by writing "For Deposit Only" then sign your name and say "Member or Representative"

I've been able to do it by writing "For Deposit Only" then sign your name and say "Member or Representative"

For tax purposes Rhode Hog is a sole proprietorship, and while we track expenses and income related to Rhode Hog, there is currently no business checking account.

Asking the organizer to put your name is best, but if you can't endorsing the check with your name, and adding "DBA yourteamname" and "For Deposit Only" should work. We have done that successfully in the past. Be sure to just deposit the check and don't do a cash back on the same deposit.

It's nice living in a small community, that everyone knows you and what hobbies you have.

I was wondering about those checks we got from Riverfest in Bellview,NE. They were made out to"Bearer-Riverfest", but the bank took them anyway.

This technique has worked for me.

We get these refund checks from our daughters colleges in their names. They endorse the checks to us and every time I go to the bank the teller has a fit that they have to be present. After 2-3 times of this I just walked outside and deposited it in the ATM and have never had a problem.

Back