• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Still Loving Your Assassin?

sloandsteady

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of chatter as of late about the Assassin Smokers. Everyone still happy with theirs and smoking away? Do you think that Gravity-Fed smokers are not as popular at the moment since Shirley Fab and Lonestar Grillz are the current rock stars?

Last edited:
I was on the fence between assassin or Lonestar grillz insulated vertical, I was able to find a used Lonestar vertical yesterday from a Brethern and drove to pick it up, I got it for a good price so I had to eliminate the Assassin. I probably would have went with the Assassin if I didn't come across the used LG insulated vertical.

I still love my Assassin. I have been cooking on it almost every weekend over the last 4 months. Starting to get that nice woodsy pit smell like my WSM has. We'll be cooking on it again next weekend at the Vista BBQ Classic in Vista, CA.

My assassin is smoking away right now. Awesome smoker. I don't regret my purchase at all.

Humphreys.

Pint.

Down East Beast.

I agree with SmittyJonz...

Not everybody needs a gravity fed unit, it's a matter of preference.

When I searched for a new smoker 2 years ago I considered the idea of a gravity fed. When I found out that the Humphrey's would run 12-14 hours on an 8 bag pound of charcoal, I figured that was just just one more thing that could go wrong during an overnight cook.

I have been looking at getting an assassin, but recentley (past 2 days) have been looking at humphreys. I still don't know what to do. This is an interesting thread. I am looking forward to the answers.

I have been looking at getting an assassin, but recentley (past 2 days) have been looking at humphreys. I still don't know what to do. This is an interesting thread. I am looking forward to the answers.

Both are Quality, Well Built Smokers. I personally see no need for Gravity Fed and they are bigger around with the charcoal Chute on side or back. Some guys mix chunks in the chute with the charcoal but I believe you are supposed to add chunks as needed thru FB door ??- so they do require babysitting a little. :doh:

I still love my Assassin. Last weekend I cooked 3 slabs of ribs and a whole bunch of chicken legs and thighs. A couple of weekends before that , I cooked 8 pork butts.

I never had to attend the fire on any cook. Set the Guru and let gravity do the work. You don't have to keep adding smoking wood because all your smoke is going to happen in the first couple of hours. You are just burning wood if you keep adding wood.

One of the reasons I chose the Assassin is because I kept seeing old Humphrey's that were burned and rusted out. In fact one company was built on restoring them.

You won't go wrong with the Assassin.

I think you're thinking of backwoods that Humphrey was restoring

Just got mine

I got an assassin a couple of weeks ago. Being a long time stick burner guy. It has been a learning curve for sure. However it amazes me at the burn times and ease of operation.

I think it is about seasoned and ready for a $$$ brisket.

Go ahead and get the Assassin 28, if you decide you don't like it I'll take it off your hands.......... Of course at a hefty discount for it being used and all :boink:, Just poking at you.

If you do get the Assassin let me know as we are neighbors, I would like to look at it.

One of the reasons I chose the Assassin is because I kept seeing old Humphrey's that were burned and rusted out. In fact one company was built on restoring them.

Humphrey's has only been producing cookers en masse since early 2013, so I don't think there would be any pictures of them rusting out floating around.

Assassins are great gravity fed cookers and you can actually just load up the firebox with chunks and go to sleep. No need to babysit them SmittyJ.

I will say I would Definitely NOT Turndown any Gravity Fed Smoker won in a raffle........

I still love my Assassin. Last weekend I cooked 3 slabs of ribs and a whole bunch of chicken legs and thighs. A couple of weekends before that , I cooked 8 pork butts.

I never had to attend the fire on any cook. Set the Guru and let gravity do the work. You don't have to keep adding smoking wood because all your smoke is going to happen in the first couple of hours. You are just burning wood if you keep adding wood.

I think you're thinking of backwoods that Humphrey was restoring

Humphrey's has only been producing cookers en masse since early 2013, so I don't think there would be any pictures of them rusting out floating around.

Hedge and rtboswell are right.... Humphrey's started making their own smokers about a year and a half ago. They rebuilt Backwoods, Spicewine, and many others and took the best features from them and incorporated them into their own smoker. Certainly not enough time for a Humphrey's to rust out yet.

I bought the first DownEast Beast they made in February 2013.

With the Humphreys I add the charcoal and wood chunks and walk away. I never had to attend the fire on any cook. You don't have to keep adding smoking wood as indicated above because the charcoal and wood chunks burn so efficiently. For large cuts, I simply start it, walk away, watch TV, and then go to bed. The food is done the next day and after the rest period the food is served. For smaller items, they simply cook while the other items are prepared. Typically I get a 12 - 14 hour burn from an eight pound bag of lump charcoal.

I got one a 28 model well over a year ago and use it alot. I love the way it cooks and makes it easy on me. I would highly recommend it.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 186
Back