2nd smoke in OTS --> Rib Experiment: no mop

Emmie

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Today's smoke: 3 racks of spares cut St. Louis style.

Smoking these with my [HOT] dry rub formula
stirthepot.gif
and NO mopping using a vertical rib rack to avoid disturbing heat settings. Instead I'm just using a water pan for any moisture in the initial stage.
~ 3 hours unwrapped then wrap for ~ 2 hours in foil with real butter, brown sugar, and honey.
Then ~1 hour unwrapped with my grenadine [shhh it's a secret] glaze formula.

Final saucing (The Savoury layer) with my vinegar-heavy basic sauce recipe base of tomato sauce (ketchup) + apple cider vinegar + other additives/spices.
cool.gif

My plan is to go for distinct layers of HOT then Sweet then Savoury.

2.5 hours in so far and going to need to add more pre-lit lump charcoal. [I used a modified snake with lump and forgot to account for the apparent much quicker lump burning time. I know how much to use next time.]

=====================================
1987_food.gif

Sounds great, keep us posted on the progress.

Feel free to post some pictures as well.

Sounds great, keep us posted on the progress.

Feel free to post some pictures as well.

They came out just perfect. I skipped the last 1 of the 321 and instead rested for that final hour in the kitchen. They were fabulous and finished with grenadine/honey glaze. Nice bite with no elasticity - I don't like rubbery tough underdone ribs. Meat came right off the bone like candy when eating. I haven't got a digital camera atm or I'd post photos.

[Note: For anyone who hasn't used lump yet, the flavour is awesome and heaps better than briquets which always leave a petrochemical taste and smell regardless of brand or price. My ribs had the aroma of bacon coming off the smoker! Just be aware it burns much faster and you will need more of it if using a snake, or your smoke will require more lit charcoal additions. It's a bit tricky because it burns hotter as well.]

[Note: Quite disappointed in the quality of my OTS. Only a single handle and worst of all, a vent with a clumsy one-side-only 3rd degree burn finger adjustment that sticks and requires bashing to move. Extremely cheap engineering on the new models. I referenced the same sticky vent complaints online as well. I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the silly ash catcher. Quite an overrated product, but the design cooks well for the price. At least it hasn't caught fire like the now deceased ECB. LOL. I can see now that the OTS will be a transition piece to better quality later.]\
:mad2:

Back