Time To Shop For A Smoker

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been putting off buying a good smoker till we get a house. We're approved and shopping for a house now so I'm looking at smokers. Lot's of choices. I'm hoping to keep it below $1500.

Smoking only, I would look at a backwoods or that type of vertical box. You can't go wrong in Idaho winters with a Big Green Egg where you get the heat retention as well as versatility. All of this is with $1,500 in mind.

I would also recommend a Gateway Drum (Around $600). They are a great design and proven winner.

You can get some pellet grills in that range but that is a whole different animal when it comes to "Smoke" in my opinion.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

A few things to consider: how you are going to use your smoker, large catering cooks vs cooking just for two (or 3,4...); what fuel type are you wanting to use? stick, lump, briquet, pellet?; ease of use in terms of fire maintenance? ATC, gravity feed, pellet pooper and stick burner all require different amounts of attention; will it be a dedicated smoker or will grilling ability be needed?
I do not have the budget you are considering but have found my Weber WSM, Cajun Bandit and miniWSM provide enough versatility to meet my needs.

the 2 smokers you mention are very different

do you want a set and forget type pit or one that needs tending to?

answer that and we can zero in on something for you

I should mention that I have a Traeger, a Santa Maria and a Weber Kettle OTG.
I guess the things I should consider are:
I think I'd be happier with a smoker that doesn't force me to stay up all night.
The wind around here can be a problem.
Wood for a stick burner can get spendy here
I usually smoke for anywhere from 2 to 20 people.

Get a BGE XL or Primo XL and build a UDS for those few times you need quantity. Although you can feed 20 people off of the ceramics pretty easily. They are efficient, easy to use, easy to clean, require virtually no maintenance and you'll get a good nights sleep.

My daughter and her family live in the same frozen town you do, and just posted photos of the current snowy misery on their site. Although I've spent a lifetime cooking BBQ with sticks, and still do for chicken and turkey, I've been converted to the ease and predictability of a good electric smoker. Plug in the Maverick, put in a few ounces (literally) of hickory, turn it on, and don't worry about it again until the Maverick's remote tells you it's time go go outside again. As far as flavor, it's easily the equal of any other BBQ I've ever had, and that includes 40 or so years of sweaty Texas weather and sampling the very best joints that state had to offer. If I lived in Caldwell, I'd try to stay inside as much as possible, at least during the winter. An electric smoker will allow you to do that.

Yup Humphreys Battle Box.

I agree. Check with Chad about this before you get too excited...I got it from their facebook page. I doubt it would include shipping on a smoker.:loco:

"We're having a frightening sale! Save 10.00 on any Charcoal Snake Maze. Use coupon code frightmaze. Don't forget free shipping on orders over $75.00 and receive a free gift with every order."

This is from their website...

"November's Monthly Special is Free Shipping on orders over $75.00 use coupon code "FreeShip75""

go lazy, go electric.

For the easiest Q'ing, I load up my Smokin-it #2, electric, insulated, uses max of 6 oz of wood, makes excellent food, check out their website, they have 4 sizes.

I live in MN. Where temps & wind are factors. I would look hard at a Humphreys battlebox, or pint. Very well insulated, and needs little attention. I highly recommend a Humphreys.

For the amount that you said that you wanted to spend, the Battle Box would be about top choice. However, if you could save up a tad more you could get a small Shirley offset. I have a large Shirley. I can't say enough good about them. Outstanding pits without question or doubt.

I think I'd be happier with a smoker that doesn't force me to stay up all night.
The wind around here can be a problem.
Wood for a stick burner can get spendy here
I usually smoke for anywhere from 2 to 20 people.

For the amount that you said that you wanted to spend, the Battle Box would be about top choice. However, if you could save up a tad more you could get a small Shirley offset. I have a large Shirley. I can't say enough good about them. Outstanding pits without question or doubt.

Do you even read threads before you post on them ? :confused:

Back