UDS mod question.

racedvl

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I am doing 2 bone in turkey breasts on my UDS on thanksgiving. I was hoping to find a kettle grill lid before then to fit them. I did one a couple of weeks ago and the flat lid was about a inch short, of the breast fitting under the lid. The question I have is can I lower the grate a inch and a half safely being I will be using high heat for them anyways? Thanks for any input.

sure you can and if you are worried about the direct heat hurting it being closer you can do what I did and get a round pizza type pan and sit in on the top of the charcoal basket as a heat deflector.

Is Spatchcocking the yard bird not an option.
I'd try this. Another option if it is just the breasts is to set them on a counter and press hard on top of them, it might shift things enough to make them fit.

Is Spatchcocking the yard bird not an option.

Spatchcock a Breast? That be Butterfly.........:wink:

Drop the grate or add a second lower and use a perforated pizza pan difusser or water pan on a 3rd grate 4" above top of charcoal basket

In this pic you can see the spacing of the bolts holding my grates. I have 3 grates- the bottom one holds a cakenpan water pan.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will press on the breasts, and add a third lower level. If pressing works, I am gonna use the third level for a small catch pan. Thanks again.

If you have a bottom grate for a drip pan/deflector, using carriage bolts as legs that allow setting each rack on the next lower rack and rotating racks easily. No bolts thru the sides to hold the cooking racks you can easily use 3/8X6inch carriage bolts and have enough room for chickens, butts etc on each rack and or drip pan and room between the top rack and flat lid if your bottom rack is 15 inches up from the bottom leaving plenty of room for the coal basket.

Thanks, but I got that idea from N8man. You could plug your bolt holes with 1/4X1/2 nut/bolts and go to the carriage bolts for legs at any time. Using the head of the bolts inside the drum so your not dodging bolts with the racks.
I didn't like tipping racks with food etc to rotate food as you do with bolts thru the sides. And the carriage bolt legs allow you to set each rack on the ground with the food and rotate the racks and not have to have something to set the racks on when rotating. Also, when you switch to a Weber lid, go to 8 inch carriage bolts for even more room. Here is a shot before it got all smoked up.

Back