Whiskey Barrel Chunks.

Reignman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi All. Yesterday I was picking up a load of seasoned oak and the guy who sells the wood mentioned that he also has a limited supply of whiskey barrel chunks....this sounded very interesting as they are nicely seasoned and you can smell the whiskey on the inner char so perhaps this would be a neat flavour profile for ribs.

Has anyone here used this type of wood for smoking?

Whiskey%20Chunks.jpg

I've used the Jack Daniels chips. I liked them, for use on a gasser. They have off a nice sweet smoke. I've never used the chunks, but imagine they'd be about the same.

Matt

I got a bag of the JD Charcoal with some of the barrel chunks in it once on clearance at my local grocery store.

It was the dirtiest, nastiest stuff I have ever burned. It tasted like treated wood, like someone chopped up grandma's rocking chair and threw it in a bag with some wet charcoal and slapped a brand name on it. Never again.

To be fair, I think the bag I got must have sat around for a couple years, because I had my eye on it for a while but the price was too high. Once they put it 50% off, I jumped on it thinking I was getting a good deal.

Just my experience.

Good luck!

I got a bag of the JD Charcoal with some of the barrel chunks in it once on clearance at my local grocery store.

It was the dirtiest, nastiest stuff I have ever burned. It tasted like treated wood, like someone chopped up grandma's rocking chair and threw it in a bag with some wet charcoal and slapped a brand name on it. Never again.

To be fair, I think the bag I got must have sat around for a couple years, because I had my eye on it for a while but the price was too high. Once they put it 50% off, I jumped on it thinking I was getting a good deal.

Just my experience.

Good luck!

Yikes! I'm hoping that was an isolated incident because the stuff I got was direct from the guy who actually chopped up the barrels. He gets them from a local distillery whenever they are putting certain barrels out of commission and then he cuts them down...so these were fairly "fresh". Doesn't smell funky...just smooth like a whiskey.

I guess the only way to tell is to give it a try! Just did a PP cook tonight and used oak but will probably fire up ribs next week so will give the whiskey a shot....no pun intended. :) Cheers guys!

I had several bags of the JD briquets with 4-8 barrel chunks in each bag. They smoked like white oak with no discernable whiskey aroma or flavor that I could tell.
Then again, my sniffer and palate aren't what they used to be.
I still have quite a bit of the chunks that haven't been used.

I purchase scraps directly from a cooperage a few times a year. I like the taste on my food and the smell is almost intoxicating while it cooks! I definitely recommend picking some up to add to your stash.

I have used the Jack Daniel's Oak Barrel Blocks for smoking brisket and beef short ribs. The blocks have a very pungent whiskey smell. I have been happy using them for beef smoking.

Last edited:
I bought some bourbon wood barrel chunks from Fruita Wood just to try. Did great with my baby backs. Nice flavor.

Back