Smoking a Chuck Roast....

smokingmeats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tomorrow for some pulled beef. I've never smoked a chuck roast before. Any tips? Should I just do my usual beef rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder? Should I inject with some beef broth? How long should I plan on the cook being? And finally, how do I tell when its done as I don't currently have a meat thermometer. The roast is 4lbs.

will also be doing some st Louis spare ribs.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder should be fine. For mine, I always use Oakridge Black Ops.

Chuck Roast typically has less fat than brisket, so I generally cook around 275 degrees and wrap when the roast hits 160-165 degrees internal. Without a meat thermometer, you'll just need to go by color. Cooking time varies, of course, but at 275 you can probably figure 45ish minutes per pound. It will be done when it probes tender.

I like to dump any of the juices in the foil back into the meat after I pull it. Makes it extremely flavorful.

If you're not comfortable judging by color, which may be a challange if you're not experienced, I would use the probe test. If you don't have a meat thermometer, you can use an ice pick or anything similar...or even a thin bladed knife...when if can go I to the thickest part of the meat and feels like it is gong into butter, it's done.

It won't be quite as soft as butter, but that's the saying, "like butta..."

It's pretty hard to screw up a chuck roast. As mentioned above, your one and only issue is that it is less fatty than a brisket, so keeping the moisture in it is important.

It's always a matter of debate whether injecting assists or not. Both ways work fine. What really matters is foiling once the colour comes up. Place in a pan (if not in one already) Add onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers garlic etc and a 2 cups beef broth, then foil. Once it probes tender with a skewer, take it off and let it rest in a cooler box for at least 2 hours.

When you pull it, drain off all the remaining juices first. Do the pull and then add ALL the juices back. You will be amazed how much the pulled meat will still suck up those juices. That will guarantee you some delicious pulled beef.

Cheers!

Bill

smoke on

I've done a couple chuck roasts and beef "country ribs". I've always treated it like a pork butt. You may wrap in foil when it hits 160° but it usually turns out great without any special treatment. I do always cook till 200° for shredded beef

Personally, I like to add a cup of chianti before wrapping in a foil pan. When it is ready to pull I pour all the juices into a bowl then stick in the fridge for the fat to rise to the top and harden. I add the juices back in after removing the fat. IMHO, adding back the juices without defatting them makes the meat way too greasy.

I can't imagine injecting a chuckie. It is the beefiest of all beef cuts and anything that masks that wonderful flavor just isn't right. Sometimes I'll cook to 170 and slice it. I've had folks tell me it's the best brisket they've ever had! :clap2:

Back