• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Big fat chops for 2

Ryan921

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I don't post on here nearly as much as I lurk. Mostly because I am terrible at taking pictures. I'm thinking maybe if I just go ahead a post, it will give me motivation to suck less at that picture taking... worth a try I suppose

So anyhow, my wife comes home with these giant 1 1/4" thick pork chops and says "I don't know if you can cook these or not?..." (she is just not a grocery shopper.. but she tries and that's what counts:thumb:) Instantly, my mouth is watering and I begin preparing the meal.

I rubbed the chops with a little safflower oil then a light dusting of S&P and Plowboys. Left them on the kettle on indirect heat for about 15 minutes then about 5 on direct heat. Pulled at 145 IT.

I did a glaze with this Whiskey Peach sauce. I'm not sure how common this sauce is, I've only found it at my local butcher. If you ever see it I would highly recommend giving it a try. I am typically not a sauce guy but this stuff if fantastic.

These were the best pork chops we have ever had. Even with those monsters we both finished wanting more!

Thanks for looking

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

While I'm at it I want to give a huge shout out to ALL of the Brethren. I have only been Que-ing a few years now with very little cooking experience before that. I am now to the point where my family is always raving and making me the one in charge of cooking Q for family functions. It's a great feeling and I owe a lot of credit to the information I have obtained from the Brethren. This forum if nothing else is overwhelmingly inspiring and gives me a huge amount of drive to continue the endless pursuit of great BBQ.

Thanks again!

Pork chops are alot harder to cook than steak, and it looks like you nailed it - nice-n-pink near the bone. They also like sweet which why your sauce worked so well.
Great job!

In the state of Iowa they call those, "Iowa Chops" in Nebraska they call them "Husker chops", I've eaten probably a thousand of them over the last 30 years. A little pink don't hurt a darn thing, a market hog today is very young, way less dangerous than eating ground beef medium. Of course I eat ground beef medium rare and steaks rare but that is the way I like them.

When I first moved to Arkansas in the early 80's I couldn't find a chop any thicker than a half inch, I asked the butcher behind the counter if he'd cut me a half dozen or so an inch and a half thick, he looked me straight in the eye's and said "you ain't goin to get'em cooked!", I told him that I understood what I was asking for and to please cut me some like I had requested. He did and wrapped them up and handed them to me while the others in line cleared away from me like I had Ebola.

What you cooked there looks delicious!, the only thing I see wrong with your post is you say it's a chop for two, at my house we each eat two.

Mike

I'd say you have the picture taking and cooking down and the wife has the shopping down and y'all both downed those chops. A winner all the way around!

Back