• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chicken trimming

mobow

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Am going to do a practice comp cook this weekend of ribs, butts and chicken. I have read many threads where individuals state they hate trimming chicken and that it takes a lot of time. I have not found it to be overly time consuming and so wonder if I am missing something. I start with smart chicken thighs (air chilled no water added). I trim off excess skin to square things up a little and remove a little edge meat to give it some uniformity and call it good. I know some de-bone. But for those of you who cook bone in do you do anything else that I am missing? keith

Nope...not me...that`s about it. I like my chicken to look like chicken...;0)

Post a few pictures (top & bottom) and maybe we can help you out.

Prepping chicken doesn't take forever, but that chicken fat is slimy and nasty stuff.

I also don't think you can do much to the chicken once it is cooked and that leads a lot of folks to be more particular on the front end.

I hate trimming chicken also, but it normally doesn't take me all that long, maybe 20-25 minutes from start to finish wipe down. I think some of the gripes are from people that scrape the skin......now that is torture!!!

You can certainly help yourself out by buying more consistent looking pieces if possible. How many pieces are you trimming. I hate trimming 24 more than 6.

I think it's like anything else in BBQ: you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.

I've pretty much done the spectrum and decided that I'll go middle of the road:

Bone-in, meat trimmed to uniformity, skin off, scraped for bulk and rewrapped for cooking.

I used to buy my chicken at Costco...but you never know what you're gonna get. Now I buy it from the local market and have it trimmed/cut to my liking. All I have to do is trim off the tamale...shape it up a bit...and it's ready to roll. :thumb:

loly pop chicken has any one see this i have never seen an pic of how this is done:doh:

I thought every one just threw them in a muffin pan and plopped them out for turn it?

loly pop chicken has any one see this i have never seen an pic of how this is done:doh:
York,
Good to see you on here. Susie and I are about to finish up our master judge certification. When we cooked with you it inspired me to compete. I hope to do a half dozen contest this year. Hope we run into each other. I have seen the lolipop turned in at a few contest. It looks like they release the meat at the bottom of the bone and then push up into a clump towards the other end. Don't remeber what is done with the skin or if it was skinless. Hope that helps. keith

You cook 8, or you turn in 8?

Some folks turn in 8 so the last judge also gets a choice
I am cooking 8 at this time because that is what comes in a pack. I am practiceing for my first comp. I have judged close to 30 contest but have never competed. Once I get to a contest to cook I will probably cook 16 to get 6 to turn in. keith

Last comp we did we cooked 32 pieces. 32!:shocked:
We usually cook 16, but we tried 2 methods. Matt and I worked on a new recipe for months and introduced this to the other 2 team mates at the comp. Our new method was the winner.

It takes me at least 10 minutes each piece to trim. What a pita. But after all of the work, the outcome was awesome! :thumb:

Let me say "I hate $#%&*^ chicken".

The tough part is removing fat from skin. I finally learned to.filet the fat off and did 8 pieces in 30 minutes. Took Carolyn that long to do 4. I trim off more meat than you. Can put 10 to 12 in a half pan.

I usually end up with more trimmings than actual peices of thigh, which makes some pretty awsome chicken and noodles!!! Ive got it down to about 8 minutes per piece, scraping takes the longest but it well worth it

Back