Alternative to wire brush for grill cleaning

JuniorBalloon

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I have used a wire brush for years. A few years back I had one start to disintegrate and leave metal shards on the grill. I was always carefull to make sure none were stuck to the grill. I threw it away and bought a better, stainless steel one. It did not shed for many years, but recently it started to lose a few pieces. I've read the stories of people ingesting these metal bits and would like to find an alternative. I've tried foil, but my rough cast iron grates shred that stuff and it makes a mess. What do you use?

Thanks,
jb

I cut an onion in half and rub the grates when they get hot. Works really well.

Onion works, and a piece of balled up foil before that works for me to get the big crud off

I've used a 3" x 7" tapered cedar plank, rub the grates and over a period of time you'll get groves in it, it's good to get the bigger chunks off, then we'll use a plastic scubby after it cools.

Chore Boy stainless steel "scrubbees" work great! Walmart, Target, etc. has them.

I just put on a pair of gloves and go to town on the grates. I clean the grates after a cook when the grill/smoker has cooled off a bit but is still warm so the crud comes off easily.

In the painting section of your home store are some 3M Scotch-Brite pads.
These are like the dish washing pads on steroids.
You want the black ones labeled for metal finishing.
The brown also good, just less aggressive.

They won't last long but won't have to worry about metal shards.

I recently seen a heavy duty nylon brush in the grill accessories section if a store. It's about time, I'm not sure why it's not the standard yet

Grillcleaning_zpsf56bb71a.jpg

Then heat from the coals. Finally, a coating of oil.

I use this on my cast iron DOs and fry pans, but it works pretty well on my cast iron smoker grate, too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Chainmail/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424479871&sr=8-2&keywords=chain+mail+scrubber"]Amazon.com: The Ringer Cast Iron Cleaner XL 8x6 Inch Stainless Steel Chainmail: Cast Iron Griddle: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5159nj0xbXL.@@AMEPARAM@@5159nj0xbXL[/ame]

Last edited:
I too scrape with foil when the grates are hot then hit em with an onion. I recently saw an onion handle of all things, if you so please.

4th for the foil...yes weed burner has its uses but to just clean the grate the foil ball can't be beat for effectiveness and safety

Nothing works as well as a Weber T style brush for me but I'm very careful to look over the grate before cooking.

These and S.O.S. pads, which are the same thing, work great. They will pull some of your seasoning off of cast iron though.

I have a nylon/and or plastic brush I got at HD that has a removable brush head that can go in the dish washer, or wash it out in the sink with some dish soap. Have had it about a year, and it is still like new. Try not to scrub the grill when it is really hot so as not to melt the bristles. You can get replacement head for it, although it is almost as cheap to just buy a whole new unit. It also has a metal scraper on it.

Omar

These and S.O.S. pads, which are the same thing, work great. They will pull some of your seasoning off of cast iron though.

These both are notorious for shedding bits of steel wire on things.

Back