Doubt on MEATER.

woodpelletsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The kickstart link https://www.kickstarter.com/project...uly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom/posts/1582215
The youtube demonstration [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJKyGBP7DTk"]How to cook a Ribeye Steak using MEATER - YouTube[/ame]
the patent link http://www.google.com/patents/US8557317

I am not doubting it.
I am certain that it is a smart cheat.

#1.The electronics can withstand 275C.
#2.the wireless signal can penetrate iron plate.

It was said ready in Jan.2016, then delayed to April, then June, and now August.

If I was wrong, it would be a great news to all BBQ funs.
If I am correct, it will be a big kick to all kickstart projects.

I too am a backer, delays such as this are very common with new product development with new companies. Especially when the mechanics are changing based on differences in volume. You don't mention in your post why you think this isn't going to be real except because of delays. Also why are you calling it a cheat? Is it any more of a cheat than my thermapen?

I've backed half a dozen Kickstarter projects, two of them were never fulfilled and repeated complaints to Kickstarter by myself and other supporters were never even acknowledged or acted upon. For those with an interest in this on I hope it makes it to you soon.

I too am a backer, delays such as this are very common with new product development with new companies. Especially when the mechanics are changing based on differences in volume. You don't mention in your post why you think this isn't going to be real except because of delays. Also why are you calling it a cheat? Is it any more of a cheat than my thermapen?
I do not question this projct by its delay and delay, but by its youtube video.
It claims that it can withstand 275C and flare up.
In the video I find flare. The temp. must be a few hundreds of degree C.
Also from the video I find that its wireless signal can be received by its phone while the meater is inside a full closed steel grill.
and the meater is really mini sized
If they can reach such a high technical level, they must by protected by CIA or FBI or The Pentagon. There are much more important areas waiting for them other than smoking meat.
American sent space shuttle to the moon.
North Korean leader vows to send space ship to the sun.
We all know it is a joke.

Also from the video I find that its wireless signal can be received by its phone while the meater is inside a full closed steel grill.
If they can reach such a high technical level, they must by protected by CIA or FBI or The Pentagon. There are much more important areas waiting for them other than smoking meat.

The electronics only need to withstand 100*C unless you like to turn meat into shoe leather. In theory, the sensitive parts will be deep in the meat and only the antenna will protrude. Should not be a problem.

Beaming a signal through a stainless steel grill is also not a huge hurdle to overcome.

The challenge I see is the battery life. The electronics and wireless radio will need power, and the Meater has limited internal space and is in a high heat environment. I am not surprised they show a quick video with a reverse sear (and never show you the phone or the app after setup). Let me see the thing last for a 14 hour brisket cook, or better yet a 72 hour Sous Vide brisket and then I might get my credit card out.

Whether this one works or not I have no idea. But the concept is awesome and no doubt a direction we are heading. If not them, someone will figure it out. May take a while though....

This is one of a couple of threads you have started to question this specific technology - that seemed odd until I noticed you also sell something similar in eBay. End of the day, I am also a backer and very optimistic about the legitimacy of the item. I have no doubt that the system will come to fruition.

My question to you is why the criticism on your part? Did you back it or is this potentially competition for a product of yours? Why belittle people that are backing the kick start as I have. Inquiring minds want to know.

As backers, are you not concerned that they claim to be preparing mass production but they still have not posted any video of a working prototype? I was super excited when I first heard about it, but my spidey sense just keeps screaming fraud to me, and every update they post makes it scream louder instead of calming my fears. It seems like they are actively trying to make you think you are seeing working Meaters when they very carefully making sure you see nothing. That can't be an accident, and I can't come up with any good reason for why they would put the effort in to do that if the prototypes actually worked, even if only for a few minutes.

The only definite thing that I got from that video is that some people should not be wearing skinny jeans. Even if you do live in Europe. I too am a backer of the project and I have my doubts and my sincerest hopes. The delays add to the doubts and my instinctive nature has me wondering about the same things that you have posted about. My interest in this was because this is a problem that needs a solution. I do not think you are posting your concerns out of malice because I think you are a guy that likes to solve problems. I could be wrong but that is not how I take your posts. If this project does not pan out, it would not be the first time I have bet and lost.
Now, WoodPelletSmoker get back to the test bench and solve this problem and I will give you my $$. :idea:

As backers, are you not concerned that they claim to be preparing mass production but they still have not posted any video of a working prototype? I was super excited when I first heard about it, but my spidey sense just keeps screaming fraud to me, and every update they post makes it scream louder instead of calming my fears. It seems like they are actively trying to make you think you are seeing working Meaters when they very carefully making sure you see nothing. That can't be an accident, and I can't come up with any good reason for why they would put the effort in to do that if the prototypes actually worked, even if only for a few minutes.

The video linked at the top of this thread shows a working prototype. Did you not watch it?

I don't find the wireless signal issues to be a problem at all. Wireless signals in my house go through walls/floors. Going through some metal that has openings for air intake/exhaust won't be a problem. It's not like this is inside a bank vault.

As far as mini-sized claim, have you noticed how small technology is getting these days? All this thing has to do is take a temp reading and broadcast wirelessly. That's not anything special. The hard part is getting the battery life and shielding correct, but by the looks of it, it does appear to be a little thicker than your normal leave in. I am not sure how well versed you are in technology these days, but this is not a difficult problem to solve and its more of a convenience solution (aka the better mousetrap) instead of anything truly novel.

The electronics only need to withstand 100*C unless you like to turn meat into shoe leather. In theory, the sensitive parts will be deep in the meat and only the antenna will protrude. Should not be a problem.

Beaming a signal through a stainless steel grill is also not a huge hurdle to overcome.

The challenge I see is the battery life. The electronics and wireless radio will need power, and the Meater has limited internal space and is in a high heat environment. I am not surprised they show a quick video with a reverse sear (and never show you the phone or the app after setup). Let me see the thing last for a 14 hour brisket cook, or better yet a 72 hour Sous Vide brisket and then I might get my credit card out.

I agree, the hardest problem is the battery life, both during the cook and also recharging over and over. As a backer, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in order to try it out and provide them with the funds to hopefully produce a great product.

The video linked at the top of this thread shows a working prototype. Did you not watch it?

Watch it carefully. They show a unit inserted into meat and they show a static phone screen. They don't actually let you see the phone receiving data giving an alarm or anything else that makes me think that it was actually working. It looks like an amateur magician's version of smoke and mirrors deception. I hope I am wrong because I would love to be able to seal one of these in a sous vide bag.

I'll let you know hopefully end of July/early Aug when these things are supposed shipping (minus any further delays) :)

I thought the electronics was hiden inside the meat too.
As long as the meat is not DRY fully, it will be under 100C.
But I was wrong.
Please check its youtube video.
The Meater is inserted into meat, the electronics section is NOT hiden inside the meat. The electronics section is exposed directly to flare. It must be well over 500C.

This is one of a couple of threads you have started to question this specific technology - that seemed odd until I noticed you also sell something similar in eBay. End of the day, I am also a backer and very optimistic about the legitimacy of the item. I have no doubt that the system will come to fruition.
My questioning MEATER has nothing to do with what I am selling on the eBay. Yes I am selling digital BBQ thermometer on eBay.
If MEATER works, all other BBQ thermometer will die.
The MEATER will not be my competitor as mine dies.
A died man needs not concerning competitors.
But if MEATER does not work, a few millions of US dollars will be lost or taken away by bad guys.
Thousands of backers will lose interest on other kickstart projects.
It harts whole industry of kickstart.

Back