Can anyone share tips on cooking frozen pizza on a kettle without a pizza stone?

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I normally shy away from frozen pizza but wanted to experiment with a decent looking one.
Thanks in advance for your tips.

Never done it, but I've thrown a DiGiorno's straight on the oven rack. Why not do the same on the kettle?

Never done it, but I've thrown a DiGiorno's straight on the oven rack. Why not do the same on the kettle?

I guess I could use a full chimney of coals and split them up between the two charcoal baskets and keep them off to the sides and cook place the pizza in the middle so it's not over the coals.

Just didn't know if anyone had any other methods.

I've never done this, but as long as you can get the temp up and steady at what the instructions say, go for it. I would spread the coals evenly across the whole cooking area to help crisp up the bottom.

I'm thinking your going to have to have a stone or something to deflect the heat

I've done them before on my gasser. Just do the outer burners, not the center.

My FIL will go pizzas on his kettle and he says he puts the coals in a ring around the perimeter. He'll put it on with some wings or something to reheat while he's at it.

Here's my first shot-

Frozen #Pizza On the @WeberGrills Kettle

At East Gloucester Stop and Shop supermarket this morning and these frozen pizzas were on sale. They looked good and because I’m always trying to discover more things to prepare on the kettle i thought I’d give it a shot. I didn’t have access to a pizza stone at the dock so this is how it’s going down-
Starting out with a Sreamin’ Sicilian Frozen Pizza.
20161206_105217-01.jpeg

Fire up the kettle with a heaping chimney full of coals and the charcoal baskets pushed wide apart so we can place the pizza in the middle for indirect cooking. A chunk of cherry for smoke. also a couple of slivers of foil to guard the edges of the pizza from where they would be over the charcoal baskets so the pizza won’t burn.
20161206_105326-01.jpeg

Tossed the frozen pizza on and added a generous amount of extra shredded cheese-
20161206_105529_hdr-01.jpeg

Set the timer for 18 minutes. I’ll report back.

So 18 minutes later and its done-
20161206_111426-01.jpeg

I’d say its a 5 on a scale from 1-10. If we didn’t live in a community full of awesome Italian bakeries and pizzerias it would probably score a little higher.
Edible, and just OK but I won’t be seeking it out any time soon to do again.

Not an epic win by any stretch of the imagination but I learned something. Even smoked, frozen pizza, not all that.

Thanks for lookin fellas.

Do you think it was better than doing it in the oven? That's your measuring stick.

Do you think it was better than doing it in the oven? That's your measuring stick.

Yes by quite a bit. That touch of smoke is always nice. But in the end I'd never go out of my way to purchase a frozen pizza or waste the charcoal on cooking one unless I was starving and it was my only option.

Back