BBQ Sauce stayed out of fridge....still good?

JoSal73

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I mixed up a bottle of BBQ sauce and I forgot to put it back in the fridge. Stayed out for over 24 hours.

Should I toss it? Or is it still good?

I'm leaning towards still good. I see restaurants leave sauce out on the tables all day. No telling how long it's been there.

What was in the sauce that concerns you- eggs, fat drippings ?!

Neither. This was just a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Tennessee Red and Original

I guess the "Keep Refrigerated After Opening" label is my concern

Pour it in a small sauce pan and heat the snot out of it if you are concerned then cool than re-bottle.

When in doubt throw it out!!!!!

Now, if you'll just throw it my way I will catch it and eat it.

my granny never put her bbq sauce, ketchup, mustard, salad dressings, or mayo in the refridge. She said it sit at room temp in the store so it can sit at room temp in her house. She did that as far back as I can remember and all 12 of us grandkids are alive and well.

I do not take any chances, however if it is a sauce with acidity (vinegar), I would say you are fine. As you state restaurants leave them out for 10 - 12 hours every day if not continually......

We leave ours out from time to time at the hunting shack and I'm not quite right. Then again there are other variables like bourbon consumption to factor in but nonetheless my deck is a couple aces short.

We leave ours out from time to time at the hunting shack and I'm not quite right. Then again there are other variables like bourbon consumption to factor in but nonetheless my deck is a couple aces short.

Fah! My deck is missing an entire suit. :thumb:

I didn't know this when I married her, but my wife , (of 47 years), thinks every #!@*&! thing should be in the ice box!! She has no idea how many things I've put in there, after sitting out overnight. I think most of those "refrigerate after opening" instructions are just CYA.
BTW, I had to use a calculator to figure how long this has been going on. :doh:

Personally, I'd toss it out - NOT because I would be afraid of it being bad, but because I DON'T LIKE Blues Hog!!!

The sauce I make I usually keep in the fridge, but it is basically the same as what my father-in-law makes and he keeps it in the garage year-round. Enough vinegar that it won't spoil.

If you don't stop eating it you'll go blind. Wait that's something else!!

Back