Time to start building... UDS

cabowabo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good afternoon guys. I've been a member for a little while now. Lots of really great info here with the Brethren.

A few years ago I took my 250 gallon stick burning smoker over to a buddies shop. We were going to weld the smoker to a trailer we had built. The smoker was sitting on my 20' dove tail car flatbed. The flatbed was stolen along with my smoker. We ended up recovering the trailer about 10 months later, but the smoker was long gone. I had smoked for many years on that smoker.

Anyway... I have a Charbroil smoker/grill that I'll use from time to time now to do Beer Can Chicken and ribs. The grill is hard to keep a good solid temp and pretty frustrating. I decided that I wanted to build a smoker again. I started looking at building a stumps clone. I still actually plan to build one, but I happened to see the many various stories and reviews about the Ugly Drum Smokers. I realized that this was my immediate solution to my smoking itch that I've had the last 6 months or so.

I started searching for drums. I had a couple of VP Racing Fuel drums that held C14 racing fuel, but they are solid lid and I'd rather find something that never held anything toxic or chemical based.

After a bit of research, a good friend of mine in the Bio-Fuel industry called me and said she could get me a few drums brought into town on their next shipment. Best thing about it....these drums were only used to hold sugar! I picked them up this morning and she was actually able to get me 3 drums. Even better yet, she wasn't charged for them and neither was I! Woohoo!

Anyway... I thought I'd post a pic and introduce myself a bit. I will be heading back to Anthem, AZ in a few days to spend the 4th with my fiancé and family. (I currently reside and work in El Paso, Texas). I am going to take a drum with me and work on it this coming weekend and following week. I hope to smoke some fatty's on the 2nd or 3rd and then go ahead and do some Pork Shoulder, Brisket and Ribs for the 4th. Btw: you'll see a two bag pack of Kingsford charcoal, picked that up today at Lowe's on sale - you can only buy two at a time and I did. Plan to go back soon for more!

I will post more photos as I go.. Thanks again for all the great information on this site! I look forward to sharing my own 'Q PRON and some other great recipes that I have come up with over the years...

Attachments

• 11667078_10207180055122342_1126798435_n.jpg
    11667078_10207180055122342_1126798435_n.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 414
Best of luck with your build. Looking forward to seeing some pics. Since you have more than one barrel I suggest you try making one where you can hang your meat from hooks attached to rebar like the Pit Barrel Cooker.

Good job. Sorry about your old cooker.:tsk:
Looking forward to seeing your build!

Hey guys..thanks for all the kind words. Sorry for the delay, had hoped to have my first drum done. Had a change of plans over the holidays and just didn't get a chance to do much.

I did however pickup my charcoal basket. I was going to buy the materials to build my own, but the cost didn't make sense unless I planned to build 10 or so.

I found a guy by the name of Steve selling UDS parts on Craigslist and met up with him to purchase a charcoal basket for $55. Anyone needing one in the Phoenix area I would highly suggest him. I can pass on contact info if anyone is interested.

Picked up a propane torch today and will burn off paint tomorrow. I will take pics whole process through.

Anyway...Here is the basket:

Attachments

• 20150706_154331.jpg
    20150706_154331.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 278
Picked up a propane torch from harbor freight. Started the burn off on one of the drums today. I got the outside of drum torch red and most paint came off. The inside is another story. It slightly bubbled.

I was able to reach in with my angle grinder and 4.5" polycarbide wheel and remove the paint from the upper level. I did the outside of the drum as well. I am going to have to finish the middle and bottom levels of the drum by leaning inside with the grinder. I should have that done this evening. Hopefully get some paint on it tonight..

I will post some pics later...

Grinding took place...and what a mess.. If and when I build another UDS, I will be having it Sand Blasted for sure.

Here are a couple of the Lid, stripped and drilled for hanger, handle and exhaust:
lidb4-01.jpg

lidb4-02.jpg

Here is the Drum stripped and the marking process started for drilling:
marked.jpg

Front of the drum drilled for 2 racks, Temp Gauge, and Diverter Plate:
front.jpg

Front of drum on left hand side, Drilled for 2 Racks, Diverter Plate, Handle, hole for 1" pipe, Bracket for iGrill2 and holes for probe inserts:
frontleft.jpg

Front of drum on right hand side, Drilled for 2 Racks, Diverter Plate and Handle. hole for 1" pipe:
frontright.jpg

I will be spraying some Rustoleum 1200* Grill paint on the drum and lid tomorrow. Also need to spray the aluminum bracket for the iGrill2. While paint dries, I will work on the pizza pan diverter. Came up with a pretty cool mount for it. Should have this ready to season on Friday and first smoke this weekend!! Super excited...

More pics coming soon..

Last edited:
Looking good! I like the basket.

Hey guys..thanks for all the kind words. Sorry for the delay, had hoped to have my first drum done. Had a change of plans over the holidays and just didn't get a chance to do much.

I did however pickup my charcoal basket. I was going to buy the materials to build my own, but the cost didn't make sense unless I planned to build 10 or so.

I found a guy by the name of Steve selling UDS parts on Craigslist and met up with him to purchase a charcoal basket for $55. Anyone needing one in the Phoenix area I would highly suggest him. I can pass on contact info if anyone is interested.

Picked up a propane torch today and will burn off paint tomorrow. I will take pics whole process through.

Anyway...Here is the basket:

Is the ash pan welded to the basket? How will you dump the ashes if you still have charcoal in the basket? I prefer that the basket and the ash pan be separate pieces.

Back