• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone make their own barbecue sauce?

Beerbecue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I like to make my own sauce if I have the time and when i do I always leave out the liquid smoke flavor so common in BBQ sauces in favor of my hard won natural smoke flavor.So do you make your own tomato based or do you use other fruits and sugars?

cpw got that right.

Last weekend I tried some home made apple bbq sauce that I got from HUCKS in Trade round 30. It was some good stuff!

Absolutely, I use a couple different methods, including one from Raichlen's book. I then tweak the flavor profile significantly for my own tastes. I do use liquid smoke as well, when mixing a sweet and smoky sauce. Nothing on the shelf can compare.

I make 98% of my own BBQ sauce and the other 2% is my own tweaking of a bottled sauce to make it better.

Most of the ones I make are tomato based but definitely never using, again I'll say never using liquid smoke. I'm a big fan of fruit based sauces especially on pork, chicken, and even fish.

The people that mass produce BBQ sauce are trying to appeal to as many people as will buy their product so I like to compare the sauces to music. There are hundreds of bands that appeal to several hundred thousand people but when you listen to them they lack something. When you listen to them you just say "how can anyone really like this band?"

I like to think most of my homemade sauces are the equivalent to bands like the Allman Brothers, Government Mule, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not everyone likes them but they rock and always deliver good tasteful music to those that do like them.

I make BBQ sauces to please my tastes and several of my close friends that truly understand and appreciate BBQ. I do not want to make a sauce that will appeal to some 18 year old city bred person that thinks a McRib is good BBQ.

I make my own all the time...I usually use crushed Tomatoes and Salsa to kick things off...I also include Sauteed Garlic, Red Bell Peppers, Celery, and Vidalia Onions

YES.

I don't have my own original recipe necessarily, but I do make sauces from recipes that I like. My favorite is a SC mustard vinegar sauce that happens to be coming up NEXT in the thread cpw mentioned above:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99442

Although I love some molasses based or tomato based sauces, my personal favorites are the mustard/vinegar sauces.

I also like a few commercial sauces (not that I've tried them all), but sometimes I doctor them. I like SBR's, but like to also add some cayenne and white vinegar to give it some 'snap'.

I normally make my own but I got some Blues Hog & Tennessee Red recently to check them out, which I will be doing this weekend. I tend to go for mustard sauces and vinegar sauces when making them, and I actually use very little sauce when you get down to it.

I make my own. It's a mustard based sauce that's been in the family a few generations. Been working on a few different tomato based sauces though.

A better question would be....Does anyone not make their own?

:clap2:

Yep, me. I've tried several times with different recipes but they're never anywhere as good as Blues Hog or Head country. Now rubs is another matter.

I frequently make my own and my wife and I are going to start on some fruit-based sauces soon. This is a lot of fun and a big part of the hobby for me.

For competition, I use commercial sauces. Reason: Consistency. I've found several that do well and that I can count on to produce good balance. None of them contain any extra smoke-flavor additives. A little smoke is a good thing, but not in the sauce.

Nope.

:p

Actually, refer to infernooo's thread (listed earlier here). I too am of the opinion that
BBQ sauce should not have smoke flavor in it, and you'll see why if you read his
thread.

Best of luck.

I used to. In fact I was really close to perfecting both an apple-based sauce as well as one based on orange soda (sounds weird, but it's fantastic on brisket) until I found Blues Hog. I can get jars of that for $3.78 at my local grocery store and it's seriously better and more versatile than anything I've came up with on my own.

I have always made my own sauce and have come up with some pretty good ones that have helped me win some competitions. However, I keep hearing Blues Hog. I have never seen it in my local area stores but I think I am going to have to order some and try it. I know a lot of people are using it, in some form, in competitions and are having some good results.

I used to. In fact I was really close to perfecting both an apple-based sauce as well as one based on orange soda (sounds weird, but it's fantastic on brisket) until I found Blues Hog. I can get jars of that for $3.78 at my local grocery store and it's seriously better and more versatile than anything I've came up with on my own.

I make my own sauce as well. Similar to some others I started using liquid smoke, but not any more. I think I'm on version 8 or 9... LOL. I think I've got it now.

But like someone said earlier, my sauce isn't for everyone. I like it spicy. It'll burn nose hairs on the way in, and take the shine off the porcelain on the way out. And it'll do that while maintaining a great flavor. :becky:

I'm a die hard Spicewine sauce kinda guy.

Back