• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Insulation - Revisited

M

muledeer

I've read all the forum archives on Insulation of the smoker and Firebox -- I have to say the Thermal Insulation using ceramics seems the right direction for the Firebox. I've researched Ceramic Thermal insulation on the net and found Kilns and Furnaces (like a Q pit) use this type of insulation effectively - frequently in the 2000 - 3000 F range.

I've seen Ceramic Blankets and Ceramic Fiber Blankets but the most interesting item was Ceramic Boards -- they look like styrofoam, easy to cut and shape, and I think would make a nice replacement as a foiled cover over the Firebox. There is so much BTU loss at the Firebox lid that this seems to make logical sense - save BTU's and fuel with superior insulation. The ceramic boards don't seem to be that expensive - I'm just curious as to the member's experience or knowledge in this area.

Some links:

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/fc_boards.htm

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/gro...CategoryName=THERMAL INSULATIONS&selection=34

What do yall think about a Ceramic Board cut to fit over the Firebox with no lid? Do any of you have any knowledge of this working successfully?

Appreciate any help,

Thanks,

Mule

You are right on about the heat loss. All other sources of heat loss pale in comparison. However, ceramic can fracture very easily. As for the blankets, maybe but I'd do what Phil and I have discussed in the past. That's sheet metal bent in an arc to that it stays put inside the top of the lid (with the blanket in-between). Stainless sheetmetal is ideal.

Warning!!! Ceramic fibre blanket is nasty stuff to work with, almost as bad as asbestos. Be sure to use a good respirator when working with the stuff. I use it a lot to line my propane forges and always use protection when cutting it.

I could see placing a sheet of that stuff in the lid of the firebox instead of replacing the lid. There's a lip there that's just perfect for laying some sort of heat sheild or heat deflector on.

I was thinking along those lines too, Brauma. You could also cut a piece to fit the grill slots and make a permanent heat shield too.

Back