Issue at a KCBS event

Wicked Smoke BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So this past weekend we competed in a KCBS event in our home town. Our first turn in was chicken. While I was in the trailer (and mine you I'm the pitmaster) my wife comes in crying, so I ask whats wrong and she said they DQ'd our chicken (dummy me missed a small sliver of foil, no issue there, my fault). The issue I had was 4 event reps come hauling ass up in two four wheelers, hop out and look at my wife and say, are you Wicked Smoke BBQ. She says yes, and they say your chicken was DQ'd. Mind you now people are standing around watching this, people stop and watch. Even the cook team next to us (which happened to be friends) come over afterwards and ask what happened.

They never asked to the speak to me, they never said we have a issue do you mind if we talk about it either out here or inside. I have a big issue with how they treated my wife and if it weren't for her stopping me I was going to the judges tent to whoop someone's ass. So what actions can I do from here now that the contest is over with?

I understand that your wife was upset. I would be, too!

I think it may have been handled poorly, but the reps are supposed to notify teams as soon as the judging of that category is over, and they have to be back by the time the next turn in window opens, so they only have a few minutes. Once they find the right team and a representative from the team, they notify them of the DQ. They don't have time to go inside or ask for another team member.

If you feel that you want to talk to someone at KCBS about it there is an e-mail address on the KCBS site for the person who is in charge of the contest reps.

Well . . . she is part of the team. In a way I would rather they told another member of the team rather than the pitmaster. You were likely putting the pork box together. I know from a few other teams that I talk to that they come and tell you that you have been DQ'd ASAP. I wish they would wait until turn in's are over. Nothing like screwing up the rest of the categories for you! It is hard to concentrate when you know you don't have a chance at winning overall.

Eggspert

I understand that your wife was upset. I would be, too!

I think it may have been handled poorly, but the reps are supposed to notify teams as soon as the judging of that category is over, and they have to be back by the time the next turn in window opens, so they only have a few minutes. Once they find the right team and a representative from the team, they notify them of the DQ. They don't have time to go inside or ask for another team member.

If you feel that you want to talk to someone at KCBS about it there is an e-mail address on the KCBS site for the person who is in charge of the contest reps.

They have 30 minutes before next turn in, the judges tent was so close I could spit on it if I wanted to. No need to come hauling ass up on 2 four wheelers. It took no longer to ask for me then it did to ask about the team name, and it wouldn't have took any longer to ask about coming in or talking about it outside. If this is how things are to be handled then I won't compete in KCBS anymore. I'll stop paying my members dues and give it to other bodies. Its things like this and other things that KCBS does that is going to be the death of that body.

I can understand your anger. It would hack me off, too. However, please don't judge the whole KCBS or all contests based on this bad experience. The guys were wrong, but I bet they thought they were doing their best.

I hope and pray your wife has calmed down and is feeling better. I hope you do soon, too.

I find it somewhat confusing that two carts of reps were required to notify you of the DQ. I have to assume that with 46 teams in attendance, they had nothing better to do between the chicken turn-in and rib turn-in. There is a minor discrepancy that only two reps are listed for this contest. Normally one rep will make the dreaded walk as there are other repely duties to perform. Feel honored that it took more than normal for your dastardly deed.

seem's like a lot of trouble to me, can't they just put DQ on the score card or do they have to notify the team?

I find it somewhat confusing that two carts of reps were required to notify you of the DQ. I have to assume that with 46 teams in attendance, they had nothing better to do between the chicken turn-in and rib turn-in. There is a minor discrepancy that only two reps are listed for this contest. Normally one rep will make the dreaded walk as there are other repely duties to perform. Feel honored that it took more than normal for your dastardly deed.

The event had two offical reps, and there was two reps-in-training there with the offical reps.

They have 30 minutes before next turn in, the judges tent was so close I could spit on it if I wanted to. No need to come hauling ass up on 2 four wheelers. It took no longer to ask for me then it did to ask about the team name, and it wouldn't have took any longer to ask about coming in or talking about it outside. If this is how things are to be handled then I won't compete in KCBS anymore. I'll stop paying my members dues and give it to other bodies. Its things like this and other things that KCBS does that is going to be the death of that body.

It sounds like my response pissed you off. That was not my intent. I'm not defending the reps, just explaining the situation. They didn't leave the tent with the intention of pissing you off. they hate doing DQ notifications as much as we hate receiving them.

They don't have thirty minutes. The window for chicken closes at 12:04:59. Then the boxes are distributed to the tables and the table captains record the numbers and pass those along to the judges at their table. Then they do appearance. Now it's likely 12:10. then all of the judges get their samples and begin judging with the first sample. Best case they could have found the foil a couple of minutes later. If yours was the last sample at the table they may not have found it until 12:15 or later. The reps can't leave the tent until all judging is done for that category and the slips are turned in, probably 12:20 or so. The windows for ribs opens at 12:25, so they probably have 5 minutes to do any DQ notifications.

Is it possible that this group on the 2 four wheelers had to go and notify other teams that they too have been disqualified? If so I can see their reason for the quick stop and notification. Possibly they had other issues that was affecting their time. I am not making any excuses at all for them at all. Just thinking outside the box here.

It sounds like my response pissed you off. That was not my intent. I'm not defending the reps, just explaining the situation. They didn't leave the tent with the intention of pissing you off. they hate doing DQ notifications as much as we hate receiving them.

They don't have thirty minutes. The window for chicken closes at 12:04:59. Then the boxes are distributed to the tables and the table captains record the numbers and pass those along to the judges at their table. Then they do appearance. Now it's likely 12:10. then all of the judges get their samples and begin judging with the first sample. Best case they could have found the foil a couple of minutes later. If yours was the last sample at the table they may not have found it until 12:15 or later. The reps can't leave the tent until all judging is done for that category and the slips are turned in, probably 12:20 or so. The windows for ribs opens at 12:25, so they probably have 5 minutes to do any DQ notifications.

By no means your repsonse didn't make me mad, sorry if it came out that way. Why not send one rep around to do the notifications? One stay at the tent and the other to notify?

Also, they want to notify of a DQ as quick as possible to maybe stop the same mistake on the next category. Keith

Getting DQ'd sucks. Right now it seems like you are making it worse.

Most everyone has been DQ'd at some point. Everyone was watching because when those reps come out it is never good news.

Look at the bright side...at least you got dq'd by a couple of the best reps out there.

I have a big issue with how they treated my wife and if it weren't for her stopping me I was going to the judges tent to whoop someone's ass.

Really.
Sounds like the Reps talked to the right person, we don't need throw downs in the judges tent every time someone feels like they got a bad deal.

Lighten' up Francis!

Getting DQ'd sucks. Right now it seems like you are making it worse.

Most everyone has been DQ'd at some point. Everyone was watching because when those reps come out it is never good news.

Look at the bright side...at least you got dq'd by a couple of the best reps out there.

Nothing worse than seeing a rep between turn ins on a fast pace, I'm sure they hate it just as much!

It sucks getting DQ'd but it sounds like they did the right thing. They only have a few minutes to get things taken care of between categories. They confirmed the team name and notified you right away. I would assume they need to have at least two people from the competition present when notifying people.

Hopefully the rest of the competition went well for you.

Give the guys a break. It's not like they were circling your setup on the quads reving the engines mad max style.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate dq. The reps at this contest really are two of the very best kcbs has, they do an excellent job. I am sure they hated delivering the news, but it is something they have to do as reps. Being from your area I would suggest that this is a one time incident and that if you keep competing in events they rep you will agree that they are great reps. Are you competing in franklin in two weeks?

aside from their mode of transportation, were they in any way nasty or disrespectful to your wife?

Back