Care to share what you cook comp weekends for breakfast, lunch or dinner?

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We have a couple comps coming up soon and I think a new twist on grub would be nice. It would be nice to hear what everyone else cooks or get new ideas for all 3 meals.

Our next comp we are going all out with a lobster, crab leg, little neck clams, crawl fish, gulf shrimp, taters and corn on the cob. Along with some Dutch oven jalapeño corn bread.
That said we don't do that but 1 time a year and most comps are just brats, burgers, pizza on a BGE ect...
I would as I assume many of us would like a few new ideas when cooking to fill our bellies at a comp...

Bacon wrapped filet mignon, split lobster tails with a mint-cilantro butter and corn on the cob with the adore mentioned butter applied after shucking and placing on the grill.

Took a first at Watertown.

Friday lunch is sandwiches, Friday dinner is usually something that we cooked at home and froze, heated in Chef Mike :-D and Saturday breakfast is a banana and a bagel.

Friday nights we usually do philly cheese steaks. Fairly quick and simple with no big mess to cleanup.

usually, we find a local pizza place and split some pies with a few of our friends we like to spend money in the local economy . other than that we usually bring pistachios, trail mix, etc... for the night.

We love to eat pizza for Friday evening, if there's not a local shop, we try to get Pizza hut to deliver.

We've been making sub sandwiches for lunch, use the small individual packages of deli meat, slices of cheese,lettuce, tomato and take hoagie buns. We take only enough to make our two sandwiches, so there's nothing left to worry about having to keep on ice.

Been a while since competed, but we always did Swedish potato sausage or Italian hot links on Friday night. Baked beans in a cast iron skillet as a side.
Always made sure there were snacks available too.

We typically just check out the vendors. We get a little burned out with cooking, so the thought of cooking for ourselves doesn't sound appealing. At one comp, the team next to us made scotch eggs for breakfast. I'd never had a scotch egg.

It changed my life:-D

We usually bring 4 oversized Italian Deli sandwiches "Godfather's" on Arthur Avenue Bread with ham, salami, capicola, roasted peppers, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion ,and vinegar and oil for Saturday lunch and snacks. We ask for oil and vinegar on the side.

Cheese, crackers, and pepperoni for snacks.

Saturday dinner we usually grill lobster and corn on the cob.

Sunday breakfast is usually an egg sandwich, coffee and orange juice complements of the event. This saves time and is much appreciated.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Fridays I throw a crock pot on full of Italian beef, its lunch and supper. Sat mornings usually throw a fatty on when I get up to put ribs on.

Not all out by any stretch but;

Friday...steak, burgers, frozen lasagna, or chicken wings.
Saturday...Pre-homemade microwaved frozen breakfast burritos, bagels, microwave white castle sliders, bananas, anything caffienated, anything fast that sits well with a wound tight stomach. :biggrin1:

Fri AM = Full Breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausage, hasbrowns, toast & pancakes.
Fri Lunch = cold cut sandwiches & chips w/ piece of fruit
Fri PM = Tri-tip sandwiches w/ chips or sausages, hot links & hot dogs w/ chips
Sat AM = Bowl of cereal & banana w/ piece of fruit
Sat Lunch = couple pieces of fruit if we remember. Usually too busy w/ turn ins
Sat PM = Greasy dbl cheese burger w/ fries and shake or Full Breakfast again.

We usually do not deviate from the above except for DONUTS on Sat AM!! If I locate a good donut shop in the area, I'll make an early am run.

It's all we can do to get four meats in a box. Our primary food group at contests is ibuprofen.

We rarely cook at comps...we enjoy trying the local restaurants. On the rare occasions that we are not near any we'll do steaks for dinner...instant oatmeal/fruit for breakfast, and nibbles for lunch during crunch time. :cool:

Ribberfest in Madison, IN will be our first contest after summer vacation break and the wife will be grilling on Friday evening. Since she is from Wisconsin, we will be having some brats and burgers. After being married 28 yrs and visiting "The Cheese Curtain" many times, I have found that is a summer tradition with some sweet corn. I might be looking forward to that more than the contest.

Burgers or brats on the weber smokey Joe Friday night. Saturday all I have is morning coffee and the turn in meat I taste. Usually worn out after turn ins and don't have much of an appetite for anything but a cold beverage.

Back