Green Thermapen for $79

One of the best bbq tool purchases I have ever made. Spent years fighting and wasting money on cheaper knock offs.

Is it really worth that much money? I usually just switch one probe from my ET-733 to meat towards the end and probe the meat that way. Not sure I would spend $80 on a thermometer that I have to open the smoker to see the temp.

Yeah they are worth it. Super fast response time. You can probe multiple places and get really accurate readings quickly. Great for checking the calibration of other probes as thermapens are spot on out of the box. I usually only use it before I take the meat off so I'd be opening the smoker anyway. Also great for grilling things like chicken breasts where you typically wouldn't use a probe.

Nice to see another user from Fresno!

Very fast indeed. Sorry to break it to you guys but the one i got is fastest! Limited Edition Hot Coals 2:first: :laugh:

hot_coals2_thermapen.png

The question for me is are they that much better than a ThermoPop? I have been looking at those quiet a bit for the cost difference.

I don't have a ThermaPen, but I have a ThermoPop, and I wouldn't spend the difference. The Pop works great and is as fast as I've ever needed.

They are faster (and sexier) than the ThermoPop and the probe folds away for storage. They will also make your feet smell better.

Yeah they are worth it. Super fast response time. You can probe multiple places and get really accurate readings quickly. Great for checking the calibration of other probes as thermapens are spot on out of the box. I usually only use it before I take the meat off so I'd be opening the smoker anyway. Also great for grilling things like chicken breasts where you typically wouldn't use a probe.

Nice to see another user from Fresno!

Most things I smoke regularly doesn't need to be temped. i mostly do chicken, salmon, ribs, tri tip and pork butts. I do want to start doing brisket thought and I will need to temp that. I temp my pork too but like I said I usually just switch one probe to meat and temp it that way. I guess a thermapen would be good for big cooks too. I cooked 16 pork butts for a party one time.

It is nice to see another fresno user on here. I wasn't sure anyone else from here would be on here.

Coincidently I almost bought a green one on sale last night but opted for the Tiger Stripe Camo with U.S. Flag at full price. The main reason is due to the $9 donation to the Semper Fi fund with the purchase. They still have two models left that contribute to the fund for injured Marines.

Thermapens really shine on those fast cooks like fish, chicken, steaks, chops. When you've got a big pork butt on, a few degrees isn't necessarily the difference between good and bad. Steak on the other hand, sizzling on a 650 degree sear surface, temperature changes fast and there is a huge difference between pulling a steak at 125 degrees or 130 degrees. Same for chops, nothing like a chop cooked to the right temp for moistness. For fish, I like my salmon at 125, tuna a little less. No more dry fish! For chicken, while I like the Thermapen to let me pull it off at exactly the right temp, it's just as important to know I'm not serving under temp. Yep, the Thermopop also works pretty well as does everything I hear about the CDN and Lave Tool product. I think it doesn't matter as much which brand as it does that it's fast and accurate. Just my $.02. :tea:

Coincidently I almost bought a green one on sale last night but opted for the Tiger Stripe Camo with U.S. Flag at full price. The main reason is due to the $9 donation to the Semper Fi fund with the purchase. They still have two models left that contribute to the fund for injured Marines.

Have not checked out their site in a while and hadn't seen this one. Very cool!

I like the idea that I can use it for other things, like checking oil temps when frying sopapillas, etc.

For smoking and longer cooks where I'm trying to maintain heat inside my cooking vessel (braising, smoking, roasting), you can't beat the Chef Alarm.

For everything else, the Thermapen is the undisputed champion of temperature taking. I've had one for 5 years, and it is without a doubt the best $100 purchase I've ever made.

I have both the Thermapen and the Thermopop. For me the Thermopop is like jumping from a basic phone to an iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is so much better than basic phones that you don't initially notice the speed (for better or for worse) until one day you try your co-workers new iPhone 6. Then all of the sudden your iPhone 4 feels old and slow. It's still great but it's just not as good as the flagship.

So it is with the Thermopop. Way better than anything else you've had to this point but not quite as good as the Thermapen. I could die with a Thermopop and be happy man, as long as I never touched a Thermapen.

Just got one yesterday because of this thread! Thanks.... can't wait for it to arrive.

Back