What do you use for fuel in your PBC

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know it's recommended to use KBB, but I just don't like the smell of that stuff. I used it last night just to run my new (used) PBC with nothing in it and it reminded me of a paper mill. I prefer to smoke with Stubbs and was wondering if anyone uses it and how it affects the cook, good or bad.

What do you use in your PBC and why. Thanks!

I just use KBB ... for my whole life ... don't know if I could smell or taste the difference. Although I did use some lump once but not in the pbc.... not really helpful ... sorry ... guess I should expand my horizons.

I forgot to mention-I know what you mean about the smell because I experienced that when I did my intial burn with no food. With ribs and chicken on the first cook, wow, great flavor

I forgot to mention-I know what you mean about the smell because I experienced that when I did my intial burn with no food. With ribs and chicken on the first cook, wow, great flavor

I will admit, I use to use KBB to smoke with too and honestly I liked the flavor of the food. But I then discovered Stubbs and immediately noticed the difference in the smell. I also put down some amazing ribs from that cook. Not sure if it was coincidence or not but I never went back to KBB for smoking.

KBB is disgusting...the smell and the taste it puts on the food...use stubbs man. thats what i used to use in the UDS...good results taste and smell wise :thumb:

KBB is disgusting...the smell and the taste it puts on the food...use stubbs man. thats what i used to use in the UDS...good results taste and smell wise :thumb:

Yeah Stubbs is my go to coal for smoking. I have a hard time resisting the sales for KBB (40lbs for $10) but will only use it when grilling. I found the smell goes away when all the coals are hot. That's why u don't mind it for grilling. Plus I don't like to use up my Stubbs for a quick pork chop or chicken breast.

Cook something already :) You're overthinking it. Food taste great with KBB. And with food on the grill the smell will be great as well. My neighbors agree! I would at least start out with KBB since that is what it was designed for. You can always experiment later after you have a clip baseline. Best of luck.

I want to try some other fuels too but KBB is not bad if you let it ash over well before putting the meat on.

Last edited:
Cook something already :) You're overthinking it. Food taste great with KBB. And with food on the grill the smell will be great as well. My neighbors agree! I would at least start out with KBB since that is what it was designed for. You can always experiment later after you have a clip baseline. Best of luck.

It's not that I'm over thinking it really. The main reason I asked the question is because I'm not a fan of KBB and was wondering if anyone had good or equal results with something different, especially if they used Stubbs. I know the owner of the PBC company states KBB is the best coal to use but I also know that those recommendations are sometimes due to business agreements made. I mean a new cooker does cone with a bag of KBB........I'm sure he gets those at a discounted rate. ....I think you see where I'm going.
Again, if all I had was KBB believe me I'd use it. But my reason for asking was to see what others have experimented with and what those results were.

Edit: I have enough KBB for probably one cook. I may take your advice and run it once as a baseline. After that though I don't see me running out to get more.......well unless I can't resist when they go on sale. ...lol

false...it tastes like charcoal. dont do it Aclarke!

Have used Stubbs in my PBC since day one. Works great, little bit hotter of a temp, but I have dialed back the intake to range between 275-325. First cook I was near 400 since it burns hotter. Did one cook with a pit therm to throttle it down and haven't touched it since.

So yeah, use Stubbs! :thumb:

Have used Stubbs in my PBC since day one. Works great, little bit hotter of a temp, but I have dialed back the intake to range between 275-325. First cook I was near 400 since it burns hotter. Did one cook with a pit therm to throttle it down and haven't touched it since.

So yeah, use Stubbs! :thumb:

That's what I was looking for! Thanks! :thumb:

I use whataver I have on hand and I mostly use lump charcoal but it works at it's optimum when you use briquettes from my experience.

When I use briqs I only use natural briqs and to me Stubbs is hands down the best. I've also used coconut and trader joes briqs but Stubbs reighn supereme. Lately I've been mixing briqs and lump and it's a nice combo and works well also. I know 16Adamas uses 75% briqs and 25% lump and says it works excellent as well. I'm sure he'll chime in. No KBB for me either.

16Adamas uses 75% briqs and 25% lump and says it works excellent as well. I'm sure he'll chime in. No KBB for me either.

Thanks for the info. I've seen 16Adams post his mixture and found it interesting as well. I have and like Royal Oak lump so maybe I'll give that a try with Stubbs.

I mostly use lump (I'm a Primo dealer so I always have it on hand ) , but when I buy briqs I get Royal Oak , it doesn't have the fowl smell like KBB or at least it seems to be less pronounced.

Thanks for the info. I've seen 16Adams post his mixture and found it interesting as well. I have and like Royal Oak lump so maybe I'll give that a try with Stubbs.

Ya, I just saw his PBC thread and seems that he's runing 50/50 now. Give it a shot and see what works best for you. I always change it around. :becky:

With the PBC I started with mesquite lump then switched to Royal Oak lump, then Cowboy lump, then tried Kingsford Comp and didn't like it. Then came Stubbs, after that it was Coshell, Trader Joe's back to Stubbs. Now it's Stubbs and lump on hand. :loco:

Doing all of that I like Stubbs the best or cutting Stubbs with lump.

I mostly use lump (I'm a Primo dealer so I always have it on hand ) , but when I buy briqs I get Royal Oak , it doesn't have the fowl smell like KBB or at least it seems to be less pronounced.

Do you notice if your PBC runs hotter with lump?

Back