• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gonna need some Bandera fire assistance...

bwram1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I have burned 3 fires in the Bandera so far...ran 325-350 each time, because we eat a lot of chicken and that's were I cook it. I have no problem reaching chicken temps or maintaining temp for 3-5 hours, which is plenty of time for chicken...maybe even a second run if I wanna load it up twice.

Today, I started a small fire and went to work on a 250-275 range. It was going pretty well for about 2 to 2.5 hours, then started dropping to 200-220 and was extremely difficult to bring back up. Not sure why...

I started out with about 15 KBB briquettes in the chimney and topped it off with RO lump. The briquettes were to keep smaller pieces of lump from falling out the bottom. I put just enough lump in the 12x12 fire basket to cover the bottom...when the top of the lump in the chimney showed some gray at the edges, I dumped them on top of the unlit. I added a pecan split...maybe 8" long and cantaloupe diameter. I closed the cooker door but left the fb lid and side door open until the smoke thinned somewhat. I closed the lid and left the side door open maybe 2". Temp hit 260 within 20 minutes or so and I closed the side door. At 270, I put the fb vent at about 1/2 and left the stack wide open.

About 45-50 minutes later, temp was down to 230's and I added another split about the same size as the first. Left the lid up and even flipped the split over, once the bottom caught...10-12 minutes later, temp came to 260, smoke thinned out and lid was shut.

About 45 minutes later, I repeated the process with same results.

About 45 minutes after that, I noticed the temp had dropped to 210 and I repeated the process with a slightly fatter split of roughly the same length. Temp barely reached 250 and, within 15 minutes, was back down to 230.

What am I doing wrong? Because I used minimal charcoal with lump and splits, there is next to no ash in the basket or the ash pan below, so I know I ain't smothering it.

At a loss here and open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

I know some pits just like a higher temp. Mine likes it hot, 275 or it does nearly the same. I found mine to be a draft issue. At 225 it likes to draft out of the the firebox as much as the stack but at 300 it is darn near whistling and holding steady. All started for me after adding a aftermarket baffle but now it is only 25* variance for side to side. It a good trade for me because I can load it down and not worry about burning things. Hopefully you'll get it figured out and settled in soon. Best of luck.

What's the fire grate look like. Cross cross expanded metal 90* so ash falls but not small coals. I start with about 3/4's a chimney then spilt every 45 minutes. In few hours if coal base gone I'll dump another 3/4 of lit charcoal. Some wood -especially dryer wood- will burn up and not create much coals.

Last edited:
I don't use any basket. I run chimney and intake wide open and control my temps with fire size. I use 100% wood and start with a weed burner. Wood size varies from about two to three inches in diameter and six to 16 inches long. I use a variety of sizes to control heat output. I have no problem hitting any temp I want from cold smoking bacon to hot and fast chicken. It does require constant attention but it's worth it. If I want unattended cooks I use my kamado. Hope this helps.

Some fellars will cut their splits down and add more often - every 25-30 minutes to keep temp range tighter, smaller temp swings. I'm too Lazy to cut down splits so I ran 275-325* for 300* average in my Bandera........

What's the fire grate look like. Cross cross expanded metal 90* so ash falls but not small coals. I start with about 3/4's a chimney then spilt every 45 minutes. In few hours if coal base gone I'll dump another 3/4 of lit charcoal. Some wood -especially dryer wood- will burn up and not create much coals.

Firebasket not crisscrossed...But I used 1/2" expanded versus 3/4" and the diamonds run perpendicular to the steel bars on the stock grate so the ash falls fine while keeping small chunks is from slipping through. Sitting at Academy right now...Just bought a bag of B&B oak lump...Gonna try that with oak splits when I get to the house.

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_161537196_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170328_161537196_HDR.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20170328_140653166_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170328_140653166_HDR.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
With regard to size of splits...Gonna put my homemade kindling cracker and 5lb hand held sledge to work. So much for getting a day off...:roll:

Edit: Well...that didn't work. Using the hand held, the splits just bounce...and the big sledge needs a new handle, so...

Last edited:
So I never got to burn another fire. Wife decided at 4:00 that we needed to rake the crap out from under the trees that line the 500+ foot fence line at the back of the property. Also decided we needed to get it all into the bed of my truck and haul it off. Took 3 trips. Finally got to take a shower and sit down about 8:45...gonna be stiff n sore in the morning. May need to call in :sick: tomorrow...and burn a fire. :heh:

With regard to size of splits...Gonna put my homemade kindling cracker and 5lb hand held sledge to work. So much for getting a day off...:roll:

Edit: Well...that didn't work. Using the hand held, the splits just bounce...and the big sledge needs a new handle, so...

Just cut them in half instead of splitting

So I ran the Bandera for 5 1/2 hours in the 260-280 range with little to no effort...switching from KBB to B&B lump combined with cutting my oak to smaller splits did the trick. This thing was a real joy to run today. :clap2:

Great.... funny how things work out in just a week. Just takes a little patience. I have had a strong SSE wind today and I've been fighting my OKJ all day. Stupid two piece firebox is getting too drafty for windy days. I'm starting to understand why people spent good money to buy well built pits.

Great.... funny how things work out in just a week. Just takes a little patience. I have had a strong SSE wind today and I've been fighting my OKJ all day. Stupid two piece firebox is getting too drafty for windy days. I'm starting to understand why people spent good money to buy well built pits.

If I had a Highland or Longhorn, I think I'd have to weld the firebox together from the inside. Heard some stories about them.

Back