Cured TD - Smoked Headcheese portion

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last one......:mrgreen:

If you haven't seen the other threads, I decide to break my TD entry detail posts over a 3 threads to kind of manage the size and help me keep things straight.

I planned on using this head for "face bacon" http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241865&highlight=face+bacon but it was too mangled so plan b. Trimmed it up and put it in pot with a cure mix for stint in the fridge.

Removed the parts and put them on the WSM for some cold smoke.

After several hours, back into the pot to simmer and break down. Pulled the meat meat, chopped the ears and jowl pieces, and put the spurs to the strained liquid to reduce for the jell to hold it all together. Seasoned the meat and stuffed into a 2 inch casing.

I have been messing around more and more with the sous vide and curing projects so thought I would give this a bath as well and see what it did for the end product. 3 hours at 150 if I remember right.

Seems like the sous vide really helped with the bind and is something I think I will keep doing going forward.

In the midst of all this I got a text from my pig guy.....he had 6 heads for me. :becky: He just gives them to me after processing, they are pretty well stripped clean so I only get about a pound of meat out of each one. Worth the hassle as I hate seeing them just go to waste otherwise.

Put them in a cooler and gave them a good rinse.

Filled that up with ice water, salt, and cure #1 and left it overnight. Time to bring the Shirley out for this as they eat up a lot of space. 275 to 300ish with oak for the smoke.

Found out that while those were going, warmer box is a good spot for making jerky........

Didn't include this in the TD process, but during the week my wife mentioned jerky....

Anyhow.......back to the heads. Got the meat pulled, cubed up some bacon to go in as well, seasoned, and stuffed with the pig juice into a 4 inch casing.

Put that into vac bag and sous vide at 150 over night. Removed and hit it with an ice bath to stop the cooking and then into the fridge to firm up. I really like the way that the casing got pulled tight.

Gave it the slice last night for part of my TD entry process.

Oh man, this held together nicely and is just the right size for a sandwich......many sandwiches as this big one alone was just under 6 lbs. I know this thread is vague on details, so if you want to know something, jsut ask.

Here is the end result of my little projects and a pic of what is going to be my TD entry pic. Thought I would add it here in case you are curious but don't follow the throw downs.

Very nice, great post, and definitely looks delicious.

This is my new favorite thread to gross my kids out. Used to be the face bacon thread. That snout tip frying in the pan was the kicker.

Now it's the cooler full of peeled heads and that head flayed open on the smoker.

Finished plate looks fantastic by the way!

This is my new favorite thread to gross my kids out. Used to be the face bacon thread. That snout tip frying in the pan was the kicker.

Now it's the cooler full of peeled heads and that head flayed open on the smoker.

Finished plate looks fantastic by the way!

:mrgreen: Ha! That is great.

At face value I get a little weirded out, but can't argue with the looks of final product and am always up to try something new.
Ed

At face value . . .

Ha! Face value! Get it?!

Back