Brisket pic from Costco Canada.

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The label says flat. But can you take a look at this pic and tell me is it a packer or just a flat.

Never bought a brisket before.

Price is in $cdn funds, per kg.
4856cf5a1211f617b50790ea12776c90.jpg

Thanks,
Peter 20170325_105635.jpg

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the pic. I'm guessing if it is labeled whole brisket flat that is what it is. Now $11.99 is really high IMO. My Costco in the States, whole prime packers are either $2.99 or 3.99 depending on the day. And flats are under $5.00

Hard to tell but that one one the upper right looks to have at least some point on it. Price is high either way unless the exchange rate is high. When i was 19 we'd go to Windsor. I remember getting like $1.70 for a dollar. Those were the days

Sorry. Should have rotated the pic.

11.99/KG works out to about $5.45/lb in cdn funds which is about $4.04 USD.

Well then id say thats a great price for a trimmed flat.given where you are thats not a bad packer price. Last summer i paid $3 lbs US for prime Costco, i think its a little less now.

Is this at the KW Costco?
Might have to stop by on the next St. Jacobs market trip.

I Keep trying to convince my local costco to stock them.

That's a good price for a flat compared to here. Min 5.99/lb (supermarkets) here for a trimmed flat and our Costco's sell trimmed flats for 6.99/lb to 8.99/lb. Can't really tell like others said but some look like full packers and we're at $2.99/lb here for Costco prime however that is compared to the Canadian grading system.

FYI as far as marbeling goes:
Prime = Canada Prime
Choice = AAA
Select = AA
Additionally Canada has some extra criteria
ie: doesn't allow animals over 30 months of age, USDA allows up to 42. No yellow fat, USDA allows it.

I'd say from the price they're packers and looks kinda like packers but it would be much easier to tell with a few different angles. Can't tell if they're flats or just sitting flat side up.

Looks like Full Packers to me --you can see the strip of hard fat that separates the point and the flat

My Sam's Club carries flats like those, and although they look like whole packers, and they may still have some point attached, they still lack the full point.

I was at the Guelph Costco last week and they had no briskets at all. Looks like a trip to Waterloo is in order...

June 2018 update

Went to Costco Waterloo last night to look for brisket.

They don't carry it anymore according to the lady working in the meat section.

Heading over to Roberts boxed meats tonight to pick one up. They have them advertised at $3.99/lb

Peter

yeah its a packer, I bought one last week! The wholesale club sells them for a little cheaper if you have one around you.

Look like flats to me, but top left corner looks like a point. Hard to say. Buy one and find out.

Back