Phosphate Ban

LongTong

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Should added phosphates be banned from competition? With the mounting evidence of negative health effects, what do you all think?

There's a lot of "health concerns" with bbq: salt, sugar, msg, phosphates, red meat, phosphates, carcinogens, etc. Its all about moderation. You only get 20-30 bites of bbq, that is hardly a health concern.
The news is concerned with how prevalent phosphates are used in processed foods in the SAD, not the few bites you get as a weekend bbq judge.

Lots of the competition meats folks buy are already enhanced with a solution usually containing phosphates, it would be pretty much impossible to ban even if you wanted to.

I've made the decision to purchase the unenhanced Smithfield products for that very reason. I do enjoy eating and sharing the contest leftovers/rejects. When I do, it is not just a one bite situation as most judges are doing, it is whole meal type servings. I do look for rubs with less salt (not the first ingredient) but know that I have to make compromises to be competitive. As for injections, my pork injection has very little salt but the brisket product is one of the popular brands. What goes to the judges will have added salt products for the one bite pop. It's a compromise for sure but one I feel allows me, my friends and family to eat a bit more with a little les worry.

I am pretty sure that those of cooking, eating and supporting BBQ know the health risks (show me anything that isn't detrimental) and we continue to do so freely. Even the spinach grower/packager has to deal with salmonella on occasion, and you can't get much healthier than fresh greens.

Did Michelle Obama get elected to the BOD?

Should added phosphates be banned from competition? With the mounting evidence of negative health effects, what do you all think?

Okay, I'll take the bait....what mounting evidence?

From my limited research, I've found that the water is polluted, the air is toxic and food sources have been contaminated....so if I just don't drink, eat or breathe then I should be in excellent health

Back