• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The end is near, sorta...

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, my Genesis S-330 is starting to wear down. I know I could buy most of the parts and get back to 90% new. I am also starting to see where the inside of the lid is starting to rust out. Again, probably something I could buy a replacement part for, but figure that wouldn't be cheap.

And then, there is the whole I prefer charcoal / wood over gas and have only been buying gassers the last 20 years because the wife needed an outside burner for some of her stronger Korean dishes. But, a couple years back we had a new vent hood installed with an exhaust out the roof instead of back into the kitchen (why would they do that???).

So... I am thinking of putting her up for sale (the gasser, not the wife, there are laws against that sorta thing) fairly cheap locally, and getting one of them new fangled Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Centers with my annual bonus. I looked at one a couple weeks ago at the BBQ Outfitters near me. Pretty nice. Almost got it then as they had the non-tabled price attached to the one with the table.

But as with any big purchase, I have to do my homework. So, feel free to offer your opinions, whether you have one, seen one, or wouldn't go near one.

1. Is it worth it? $2K is pretty steep, but it is pretty big, and since it is a Weber, it should last a long time.

2. Will it last a long time? It would be outside 24X7X365 in the hot SoTex sun with very little shade. I'd keep it covered on when not in use, but how well do we think it will hold up?

3. Those that have one, your opinions on Grilling & BBQing on it? I'd mostly use it to grill steaks, burgers, chicken, etc., but an occasional smoke of something just for the wife and I would be easier and maybe more efficient than firing up the cabinet.

4. If you had the option to buy it local and help a fellow (Your City Name Here) family out or get it through Amazon (and possibly help this site out), which would you do? I know, we all love and would doing anything for the site, but the idea of buying local and being able to call and ask questions, or get help locally is weighing on my mind.

Probably got a month or so until I make my decision. Leaning towards it, don't want to rush, but it has been in the back of my mind since I saw it in person.

That could be an option, but the 6 month plus wait it would probably take is not something I'd want to go through (again (again)).

I think they are well designed units and probably worth what they cost. That said, if I was primarily looking to grill I don't think it would be my first choice. The Assassin mentioned above would be one I'd look at. Personally, I find some of the Santa Maria styles really interesting though that's a bit of a different animal.

If I could afford a WSCG I would buy one in a heartbeat. There is no more versatile cooking machine than the Weber kettle. The Summit charcoal unit steps that versatility up several notches and does it with class.

When you get one Terry I will have to add your name to the list of folks that I am jealous of. :mrgreen:

One word, or maybe two, good cover. Possibly a custom made, heavy duty cover.
I haven't looked at the Weber real close. I've walked by a couple while wiping drool though.

I've seen this same cooker at the store haha! It's really nice just not sure it's worth that price, especially since you already have a nice cabinet smoker. There's a fine line between needs and wants and I would think carefully about what you really need.. like cooking space, convenience, etc. I have an Assassin 36 I got used recently. It's a great combo grill/smoker that will last awhile, it's just really heavy.. even on wheels.

What about a kamado cooker? It can do everything fairly well but I will say the smoke flavor on long cooks can be a tad light compared to a WSM or standard smoker. They are great pizza cookers!

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I am keeping my mind open to other grills, but this thread is more about weighing the options on the WSCG.

Thoey, i believe the Weber 26er with the slow n sear attachment will be equal to the WSCG if not even better. IMHO the WSCG is overpriced for what you are getting.

One of our very own.. Baby Back Maniac has some nice videos reviewing the WSCG on youtube.

Zin, see that is the thing. For that price, it needs to be a great grill / small smoker. Otherwise, a performer or maybe even a Ranch Kettle might be a better fit.

So, my Genesis S-330 is starting to wear down. I know I could buy most of the parts and get back to 90% new. I am also starting to see where the inside of the lid is starting to rust out. Again, probably something I could buy a replacement part for, but figure that wouldn't be cheap.

And then, there is the whole I prefer charcoal / wood over gas and have only been buying gassers the last 20 years because the wife needed an outside burner for some of her stronger Korean dishes. But, a couple years back we had a new vent hood installed with an exhaust out the roof instead of back into the kitchen (why would they do that???).

So... I am thinking of putting her up for sale (the gasser, not the wife, there are laws against that sorta thing) fairly cheap locally, and getting one of them new fangled Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Centers with my annual bonus. I looked at one a couple weeks ago at the BBQ Outfitters near me. Pretty nice. Almost got it then as they had the non-tabled price attached to the one with the table.

But as with any big purchase, I have to do my homework. So, feel free to offer your opinions, whether you have one, seen one, or wouldn't go near one.

1. Is it worth it? $2K is pretty steep, but it is pretty big, and since it is a Weber, it should last a long time.

2. Will it last a long time? It would be outside 24X7X365 in the hot SoTex sun with very little shade. I'd keep it covered on when not in use, but how well do we think it will hold up?

3. Those that have one, your opinions on Grilling & BBQing on it? I'd mostly use it to grill steaks, burgers, chicken, etc., but an occasional smoke of something just for the wife and I would be easier and maybe more efficient than firing up the cabinet.

4. If you had the option to buy it local and help a fellow (Your City Name Here) family out or get it through Amazon (and possibly help this site out), which would you do? I know, we all love and would doing anything for the site, but the idea of buying local and being able to call and ask questions, or get help locally is weighing on my mind.

Probably got a month or so until I make my decision. Leaning towards it, don't want to rush, but it has been in the back of my mind since I saw it in person.

Before you put the Genesis out to pasture, I would contact Weber to see if any of the failing parts are under warranty. I was looking on Amazon for replacement burners for my Genesis last year, and saw some comments in the reviews that some people got free burners from Weber. I called Weber with my model/serial no., and they sent a brand new full burner kit for free. Maybe you can get install some free parts, and sell the Genesis for more cash to apply to a new toy . . .

Thanks Drew. I planned to do what I could to clean it up / make it saleable. I'd need new burners and the electric starter. The interior of the lid is the major point even making me consider replacing it, that and wanting to go back to charcoal / wood.

1- No, not to me. It's way to much money for a side table.

2- It should last for many many years Terry.

3- I'd rather use it than any of the other Webers I have. Easy lighting, easy setup, multiple setups, control, grill space. It will do anything, smoke at 225° (I dont cook that low but it will) to baking lasagna at 350° to pizza at 500° (or higher.) I like cooking on it so much that I am going to modify a rack for the back of the vehicle so we can load Waylon and take it with us to cook on.

4- It's your money, spend it where you choose.

If I were to purchase a WSCG, I would 100% purchase it locally. There's no risk of it disappearing off of your front porch. Any damage to the unit could be easily fixed by returning it to the store, vs. shipping it back to Amazon.

Matt

just my .02...
if i needed a grill it would be an Assassin. i know it's only $750 but with the left over $$$ you could customize the sh*t out of it. but i also understand the weber catching your eye and you not being able to shake it off. :heh:

Dammit, now y'all got me looking at those Assassins... I don't know. I still like the idea of the insulated WSCG, I like the price of the Kettle better, and the Assassin is in between.

Not many pictures on their site. Anyone care to share?

Back