The end is near, sorta...

I replaced the flavorizer bars a couple years back. That guy on eBay sells some great replacements. They look warn, but they are still good. I tried to replace the battery on the starter, not that. Shouldn't be anything I can't handle.

Good info on the WSCG. Only one place that sells them in SATX, not sure if they will discount it. I'll have to go look at it again and let them know it looks great, but just not sure I can spend that much. See what they say...

Ouch. Only having one dealer around hurts. Not sure how often you make it to Houston or DFW, or if you have friends in either place that would do some scouting for you, but according to Weber, each city appears to have 8 dealers selling the WSCG. They might be more apt to haggle a bit.

All good. If flavorizers are in good shape, looks like the ignition system is all that you would need to buy. Heck, that might even be a simple fix (or even a battery replacement.)

As for your decision, FWIW, I've been told that there is quite a bit of markup on the WSCG and that some dealers have been known to quietly give nice discounts. Have also seen a few threads where people said floor/demo models were for sale at a nice discount. Might be worth looking into.

I think this is probably true. I posted a couple days ago that a store near me has the display for $999. Not super helpful to someone in TX, but might indicate the markup.

Damn, wish we had options like that. Not sure why. Top ten in population in the US and we get one store?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 136
Getting closer to me having the time and $$$ to be serious about this, and I am really not any closer to making a decision. There's still the price issue, but won't know if they'll mark it down until I go back to the store. Still thinking of making some calls to Houston stores to see if they have any deals on prices that will be worth driving 3 hours each way.

One concern is cooking area. A typical grill type cook for us is a couple ribeyes and sides (veggies, shrimp or scallops, etc,). The S-330 has 507 square inches of cooking space and I usually use all of it since the sides are in grill pans. The WSCG only has 452", but has an expansion grate that will add another 264" above for a total of 716". I am not sure how cooking on that upper expansion would work. Maybe grill the veggies direct on the bottom and toss the steaks on the expansion as indirect and then move to the bottom for the sear.

You know, if they made a 26" performer model, I'd probably get it instead. :confused: Maybe I need to look into building my own table \ cabinet. Do they have the ring \ rotisserie for the 26"?

I already have a friend that is interested in taking the gasser off my hands. I sent my first email to Weber today to start getting the replacement parts.

That Assassin looks like a nice pit, but I don't think it's for me.

Just pick the one that fits all/most of your wants and needs and roll with it!

May the force be with you...

So, I went to BBQ Outfitters again today. The loss of space compared to my S-330 was a killer. So I started looking at ways to expand. I grabbed a 22" grate and a couple small boxes. Created an elevated grate, closed the lid and it fit. I was talking to a rep about it and he went and grabbed a BGE expanding grate kit. Fits perfectly, and the grate itself comes off easily to get to any food on the original lower grate. So, there went that downfall.

I asked about the price. Firm at $2K for the WSCG Center (with table). Mentioned places in Houston marking them down, and he said if they sold it for less, they would lose their license with Weber. He did say he'd give me a Military discount (served for 15 years) which would almost take away the tax. Asked about the charcoal rake tool and he said he'd thrown in a non-Weber one for free.

It's still more than I really want to spend, but if I can talk him into the the following thrown in, I may just have to do it:

BGE Grate Gripper (for picking up hot grates, etc)
BGE Grate Extender kit
Charcoal rake
Weber Cover
Military discount

The wife won't be happy, but she's in Good Korea for two months. Something about better to ask forgiveness than permission? :shock:

They are placing an order to restock on Monday. Takes 7 business days supposedly, but they will call me when it comes in...

<sigh>

Check around... was visiting my daughter in Moscow, ID last fall. A local lumberyard/hardware store had a WSGC assembled & brand new never used for $1600, iirc.

There is only one place in San Antonio that sells these, so they kinda have a monopoly.

I'm waiting for the call that says they have it in stock. Then I'll go over, hem and haw about the price, and then ask if they'll throw in the above items. If so, we'll be loading the truck up. If not... We'll see..

Unfortunately, Houston is a three hour plus drive each way. What I saved on the smoker, I would more than lose in gas (and time).

The way I am leaning is that I will bite the bullet and get it, or go for the performer with the added shelf too.

You know, you're really close to the package you want. But I sense you're committed to go with it regardless. Just do it!

Thoey, i believe the Weber 26er with the slow n sear attachment will be equal to the WSCG if not even better. IMHO the WSCG is overpriced for what you are getting.

I agree....have the weber 22 with the slow n sear and it is a great combination. Easily smokes, reverse sear and grill.

Back