Significant Drop Off IN KCBS Teams Competing

deez butts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was looking at the current TOY results for KCBS and saw that the last position was 2649. I had remembered this number being much higher in previous years so I took a look.

Year TOY Last Place
2008 4344
2009 4303
2010 5114
2011 5427
2012 6296
2013 2722
2014 2649(date 9/25)

It seems between 2012 and 2013 there was a major drop in the number of teams that competed. So it looks as if KCBS lost more teams between 2012 and 2013, 3574 56.766%, than what they retained 2722 43.234%. Did something happen or am I missing something?

I had noticed that drop also. Liked it better before because it made us look a lot better in the overall rankings. :grin: 1000 out of 6000 sounds way better then 1000 out of 2500...

The ties are accounted for in the total number, unless the tie is at the last spot.

Since the number of competitions is up and the average number of teams per comp is up I would theorize that it's a decline in the number of teams that are KCBS members.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
If you look on BBQScores.com under Toy Standings and scroll all the way to the bottom you'll see there are over 6200 teams that have scores. As noted above KCBS is only tracking the teams who are actual members. I thinks that's why we have to provide our member # when we fill out the application for a comp.

If you look on BBQScores.com under Toy Standings and scroll all the way to the bottom you'll see there are over 6200 teams that have scores. As noted above KCBS is only tracking the teams who are actual members. I thinks that's why we have to provide our member # when we fill out the application for a comp.

Just looked at BBQScores.com, yeah like 6000 teams. I also noticed my team is ranked 13 spots lower on BBQScores than the KCBS website. If the scores are accurate that would mean a number of non-member teams are doing maybe 6 or more comps. Makes sense that you'd find that teams who do 1 or 2 comps would not be members but I'm surprised that there may be teams that do 6 or more comps that aren't members.

So what are the benefits of membership.
BTW, this is in most all the sanctioning bodies, not just KCBS. To be a CBJ you must be a member. Otherwise, for the average team out there doing say 8 contests or less a year, there really is no benefit unless you want to have voting rights...

I think more importantly to be a member supports our sport, hobby and backyard interests. KCBS, MBN, FBA, etc all provide a channel for those that want to compete to do so. There are hundreds if not thousands of judges that love bbq and being a member, judge or volunteer is a great way to support something they love.

Heck why would any of us sign up for forum if we weren't interested in the activity at hand. All these organizations have deficiencies and are not perfect...are you? BBQ would not be where it is today without those that put their work and effort on the line everyday. Whether it is the cooker manufacturer, the competition teams or the food companies that cater to us, they share a common bond. Supporting your local or national organization is a positive way to promote the activity even if you don't want to be a competition team.

Why be a member of the NRA, Democratic or Republican party, AARP, AAA, BBB, PTA or any other voluntary organization? I ask you all to sign up today and get involved. It might be fun and you might learn something.

If there are 2000 cooks and 15,000 KCBS members, does that tell you something? More judges than cooks maybe?

Should it be called the KC JS instead of the KC BS?

Last edited:
If there are 2000 cooks and 15,000 KCBS members, does that tell you something? More judges than cooks maybe?

More likely that most of the 15,000 are cooks and 2600 of those are competition cooks.

I've been a KCBS member for a few years and only just did my first comp cooks this year. I became a member because I was interested in BBQ and felt it would be beneficial to join an organization that promotes and supports it.

Oh, and as an extra bonus, the ability to buy at RD more than makes up for the dues

Remember that teams are represented by a single head cook, but multiple team members may be KCBS members. You can't assume the number of teams is associated with the number of competitive cooks.

We used to have 4 people on the team, and about 6 more people that sometimes join us. Most are KCBS members, cooks, and CBJs.

I know some folks that belong to KCBS just to use the free daily pass to restaurant depot.

When we compete I do not give them my number. Figure who cares when ranking means nothing to us. We only do around 6 comps a year.

I usually do, put my judges badge on the fridge in the camper so I don't forget my #, but sometimes it gets misplaced.

Doesn't really matter for us either as the most we've ever done in a season was 6 or 7

Back