ANNOUNCING -United Competition BBQ League

Interesting concept and definitely has a focus to make better cook teams. I have met Jeff a few times and he is no stranger to the world of competition and is not afraid of hard work so I wish him and the organization the best. :flock:

Wow. This is a great idea. I met Jeff on BBQ Pitmasters and I have nothing but good things to say about him. Obviously a lot of thought went into this and I don't agree with everything (make everyone take the judging class) but I would do this contest in a heartbeat! I wish I lived closer and I hope this spreads across the country! Thanks Jeff for trying to breathe new life into competition BBQ

This is outstanding. This is as close as you can get to placing structure and definition to the art of the cook. Judging cooks will always involve some subjectivity but the wild scoring swings--- without any clear feedback as to why, is no fun to endure. Too bad it is too far away from me.

The 'Give It To God' Cup?

No thanks - just seems like an avenue to push his brand / business

The 'Give It To God' Cup?

No thanks - just seems like an avenue to push his brand / business

You mean like the Smithfield Guinea Pig, or the BPS King of the Smoker, how about the Pro BBQ Tour presented by Sam's Club....or even, *GASP!!* THE JACK DANIELS INVITATIONAL. :roll:

Pretty neat idea, I hope it does well.

Great concept and sounds very well thought out. The State Park location is great!

I will be watching from over here since I can't really travel that much to the current area. I wish the league well and will be keeping an eye on it.

That is taking your ball and going home though.

Work with the KCBS, contact your board members, make a movement.

This happens all the time in sports and it fails.

Powerlifting became decimated by new federations, rules, divisions as the sport grew in popularity. Hell, now there are crossfit competitions (reminds me of the SCA).

KCBS
IBCA
FBA
MBN
MABA
PNWBA

I know I have to be missing some. Myron alone has 171 world championships..... lol

Some really great feedback and it's greatly appreciated. We have nothing in this race other than helping cooks get better at the sport they Love. The same old, tired, Sunday conversations, post-competition are not changing. Suggestions have been made to KCBS and to BCA without any hint of interest in moving more than a molecule from what has always been done. If cooks are going to get better, the feedback MUST get more detailed and that is what we are doing. There will always be nay-sayers, but from all the feedback we have received today, the overwhelming majority of Professional cooks "get it".... and for that alone, we will call today.... a Success! Thanks ya'll for the input and keep em coming.

I feel like something like this would be really fantastic for the backyard level contests. I can easily imagine a setup where backyard contests used more intensive scoring for more feedback, but cooked fewer categories per contest with longer breaks between turn ins so that the logistics of doing scorecards and commenting is easier.

We do have the paperwork, process and contacts that are needed to get our teams into all 3. The only one in question will be the first one in June as it's the end of the qualification year, but we're talking to see if that can count for this year, given our schedule of contests already on the books for next year. We're very aware of the moving target.

Have you thought about progressive tables similar to IBCA to take away some of the "similar" judging on some tables? You might have to require larger turn in portions though if you still pick up the food.

The only major difference from existing options looks like who cashes the checks.

Making groups with a local focus is nice, but yet another national sanctioning body? Reverse engineering the wheel is a waste of resources IMO.

Making groups with a local focus is nice, but yet another national sanctioning body? Reverse engineering the wheel is a waste of resources IMO.

Have you forgotten the overwhelming success of McMahon football?

xfl-montage.jpg

Back