Judges doin dishes

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
While reading the KCBS BOD notes for the 3/10 meeting the Rep committee discussed the fact that some judges are not in favor of showing up at a contest they signed up for and were accepted as judges are being told they will not judge or TC but instead will enjoy the KCBS experience by volunteering to help otherwise....
The paragraph from the Rep Committee notes:

This topic lead into a discussion about some judges arriving at a contest not wanting to perform any other duty except judging. Even though Reps have been reminding judges at their Judge’s Meeting for months that they are now signing up for the Judging Process not just judging. In case the word has still not gotten out to all judges, it was determined that we would utilize the Bullsheet, an email blast to Reps to remind them to continue reminding the judges at Judge’s Meetings, and Collier would make a statement on the Organizer’s Facebook page to include such a statement on the judge’s Application. Polson stated that it may be something that needs to be incorporated in the CBJ Classes. He would pursue that possibility.

I for one do not agree with this line of thinking and quickly sent a e-mail to the Rep committee (rep@kcbs.us) and the CBJ committee
(cbj committee@kcbs.us). I've included my email and suggest that any KCBS CBJ that might be upset at this new process do likewise.
Enough backlash about losing their cash cow should reset their thinking.
Ed
P.S. Feel free to share via social media, Facebook,etc.

Having just read the latest BOD meeting notes I read that KCBS Reps are planning on requiring judges expecting to judge at any given contest to do activities other than judge, and are surprised that judges are upset at this.

Judges are the only entity required to be dues paying members of KCBS to participate in their contests which also include giving up one half of their weekend, travel to and from the event including expenses of fuel and in some cases lodging expecting to do what their paid for certification class allows them to do. Only to be told they will not get to judge today but instead will be forced to do dishes at the "volunteer" table. The "volunteer" has always been staffed by overbooked judges and event volunteers quite successfully.

I for one will not do all of the above requirements and not judge or TC the contest I signed up to judge. If the time comes when I am forced to do dishes or leave, leave I will.

Now you think "oh well it's just one judge" I believe you'll find out the majority of KCBS judges will follow suit.

I suggest you reverse this course and let judges judge and volunteers volunteer.

I don't understand your "doin dishes" comment. What dishes would you have to do? I've never seen anyone doin dishes inside the judging area.

Lol.... There really would be no KCBS without CBJ's.... Would there? Organizers would have to recruit cooks then... lol

How about fining judges who sign up and do the show up? So instead, the promoters over book.

While reading the KCBS BOD notes for the 3/10 meeting the Rep committee discussed the fact that some judges are not in favor of showing up at a contest they signed up for and were accepted as judges are being told they will not judge or TC but instead will enjoy the KCBS experience by volunteering to help otherwise....
The paragraph from the Rep Committee notes:

This topic lead into a discussion about some judges arriving at a contest not wanting to perform any other duty except judging. Even though Reps have been reminding judges at their Judge’s Meeting for months that they are now signing up for the Judging Process not just judging. In case the word has still not gotten out to all judges, it was determined that we would utilize the Bullsheet, an email blast to Reps to remind them to continue reminding the judges at Judge’s Meetings, and Collier would make a statement on the Organizer’s Facebook page to include such a statement on the judge’s Application. Polson stated that it may be something that needs to be incorporated in the CBJ Classes. He would pursue that possibility.

I for one do not agree with this line of thinking and quickly sent a e-mail to the Rep committee (rep@kcbs.us) and the CBJ committee
(cbj committee@kcbs.us). I've included my email and suggest that any KCBS CBJ that might be upset at this new process do likewise.
Enough backlash about losing their cash cow should reset their thinking.
Ed
P.S. Feel free to share via social media, Facebook,etc.

Having just read the latest BOD meeting notes I read that KCBS Reps are planning on requiring judges expecting to judge at any given contest to do activities other than judge, and are surprised that judges are upset at this.

Judges are the only entity required to be dues paying members of KCBS to participate in their contests which also include giving up one half of their weekend, travel to and from the event including expenses of fuel and in some cases lodging expecting to do what their paid for certification class allows them to do. Only to be told they will not get to judge today but instead will be forced to do dishes at the "volunteer" table. The "volunteer" has always been staffed by overbooked judges and event volunteers quite successfully.

I for one will not do all of the above requirements and not judge or TC the contest I signed up to judge. If the time comes when I am forced to do dishes or leave, leave I will.

Now you think "oh well it's just one judge" I believe you'll find out the majority of KCBS judges will follow suit.

I suggest you reverse this course and let judges judge and volunteers volunteer.

And take your emty cooler with you!

I don't understand your "doin dishes" comment. What dishes would you have to do? I've never seen anyone doin dishes inside the judging area.

After showing up to judge a contest you signed up for and was accepted to judge you are told by the Reps your not going to judge today but instead you will be at the volunteer table emptying out garnish and stacking turn in boxes.
How many of you cooks that signed up to judge a contest would smile and go stand at the volunteer table for several hours instead?
Ed
Oh and take my empty cooler and stick it up your azz.....

After showing up to judge a contest you signed up for and was accepted to judge you are told by the Reps your not going to judge today but instead you will be at the volunteer table emptying out garnish and stacking turn in boxes.
How many of you cooks that signed up to judge a contest would smile and go stand at the volunteer table for several hours instead?
Ed
Oh and take my empty cooler and stick it up your azz.....

Oh, so no actual doin dishes....got it.

Drop your membership if "doing dishes" and sitting at the volunteer table is below you.

Lol.... There really would be no KCBS without CBJ's.... Would there? Organizers would have to recruit cooks then... lol

How about fining judges who sign up and do the show up? So instead, the promoters over book.

Scottie, you were quick to jump in...Now that you are semi-retired and occasionally judge to keep your fingers in the works, tell me your thoughts on signing up for a contest in January (they're full if you don't) then come July you find someone to watch the kids, dedicate half your weekend to judge a contest, drive an hour and a half and when you get there are told you won't be judging instead you will be dumping boxes.
What would be your response to this Rep?
Ed
P.S. Fining judges that don't show up is stupid..... they should be banned.

Drop your membership if "doing dishes" and sitting at the volunteer table is below you.

I do dishes all the time, got no problem with it.
But if I sign up to judge a contest I expect to judge. If they want volunteers to clean up boxes then they should ask for and sign up volunteers.
Ed

I do dishes all the time, got no problem with it.
But if I sign up to judge a contest I expect to judge. If they want volunteers to clean up boxes then they should ask for and sign up volunteers.
Ed

Then quit signing up.

I think you are off base here and your mind is in the wrong place. You are still involved in the judging process. You know ahead of time that this is a possibility. I am sure it wouldn't happen more than one contest in a row and if it did a simple conversation with the rep would solve the issue. You are helping with a contest and the judging process. That may require a little clean up. I have to cleanup after every contest after I have spent hours providing the best food I can for you to sample and I have clean up after words and I don't have a choice to leave. If you didn't get any because you were on clean up duty stop by and I would be happy to give you my left overs as many others would as well. I am sorry you feel this is beneath you but it sounds like you are in the wrong hobby.

I'm not sure if this is all in good fun or if it has degraded into a pissing contest, but here is my perspective as a competitor that is thinking of taking a judging class. I was thinking of taking a judging class for a very specific reason. I want to learn about judging to improve my BBQ at comps (I've walked in every category but can't seem to get above 3rd place in any category). I think getting a better understanding of the criteria will help, but I think tasting a wide variety of BBQ flavor profiles would be a tremendous help.

I still have kids at home and weekends tend to be busy (which is why I only do 3-5 comps a year) so if I am going to ask for another "weekend off" I want to make sure I'm accomplishing what I set out to do, which is learn.

This seems simple, if you sign up to judge and they accept you, you should be at a table judging, if more is required then saddle up sally ( Many hands make for light work).

Please help me understand, is the problem overstated or are some comments an overreaction? I'll shut up and let the flames fly!!:twisted:

Judges class and judging is not going to give you the answers for those last two finish spots in a category. I believe that answer is analyzing the few point you are leaving on the table.

I'm not sure if this is all in good fun or if it has degraded into a pissing contest, but here is my perspective as a competitor that is thinking of taking a judging class. I was thinking of taking a judging class for a very specific reason. I want to learn about judging to improve my BBQ at comps (I've walked in every category but can't seem to get above 3rd place in any category). I think getting a better understanding of the criteria will help, but I think tasting a wide variety of BBQ flavor profiles would be a tremendous help.

I still have kids at home and weekends tend to be busy (which is why I only do 3-5 comps a year) so if I am going to ask for another "weekend off" I want to make sure I'm accomplishing what I set out to do, which is learn.

This seems simple, if you sign up to judge and they accept you, you should be at a table judging, if more is required then saddle up sally ( Many hands make for light work).

Please help me understand, is the problem overstated or are some comments an overreaction? I'll shut up and let the flames fly!!:twisted:

My opinion: it's a waste of time if that is your goal. The only thing I got out of taking the judges class was a big question as to why the heck do I continue to compete.

One valid point in all of this; KCBS CERTIFIED judges are required to be KCBS members.
Cooks are not required to be members.
Seems like the majority of KCBS members are judges.
It would be interesting to see the membership numbers.

Last edited:
I think the intention of this is to create more inclusion for the judging pool, instead of just sending them away.

As a cook I want the organizer to overbook judges. One could argue that the only way to guarantee 100% CBJ's is to overbook. You can argue all you want that judges have as much vested as the cook, they don't. If you show up and they have already assigned all the spots you have the OPPORTUNITY to volunteer. No one is holding you against your will.

As a judge I would volunteer, because I know it won't happen every time.

Is it unfortunate if you planned on eating bbq and didn't get that opportunity? Yes. In my opinion it is more unfortunate for the teams to be stuck with more non CBJ's because they didn't want to book too many judges.

As far as a fair solution for judges that have put out a lot to attend that contest. When the reps or organizer are assigning, have them ask a simple question. Is there anyone here who traveled over X number of miles (or X number of hours driven or flight)? Get them a seat. I can't see other judges demanding a spot if someone else came from much farther away.

Back