• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS not holding heat!

A something to keep it the back of your melon: The temp in the center will be 50 deg hotter than the thermo reads. save up some cash and get some expanded that lath wont last to long.

Thanks Bludawg - would you have any idea how long it'll last? Shouldn't be any danger to use it though, should it?

Also, you're saying the temp in the center of the drum is 50 degrees hotter than I'm seeing with the small probe? What if I'm using a diffuser pan on top of the basket? Also, would I be okay drilling a hole in the top of the drum and putting the probe in there?

or, is there any way I can extend that probe to read deeper with some sort of add on? Like a piece of metal of some sort?

Thanks so much!

You can buy an 8" turkey thermometer at Academy for less than $10 (or a 12" one for a couple dollars more). Drill a hole in the barrel (under grate level) just large enough for the stem. The holder that comes with the thermometer can slide on the stem inside the barrel to hold it in place.

That mesh won't last long, and make sure it's not galvanized!
Are you using the 2" bung that comes in many of our lids? I only use 2, 3/4" inlets. Reason for this is I know what certain lumps max out at temp wise in my drum.
5 inlets is way to much! Ive had problems with magnets personally. Not the best seal and don't hold as well over time.
This is just my opinion but I keep my intake equal to or just less than my exhaust. This prevents stale smoke and keeps my temps from jumping too much.

Thanks for the response. So, if I wanted to have a better seal for the intakes and forget the magnets, should a small nipple and cap be what I go for for each of the intakes except the one with the valve? The reason I've been skimping is that I told myself I could build this for under 25 dollars, after the drum...and so far, I'm under budget.

Spend a little more and it will pay you back for years. Especially when you are starting out its important to have consistancy! Nipples should help, they did wonders for me.

Well, I think I may be the dumbest person on the planet, because I still can't get thing to balance out and hold heat.

I am trying a picnic shoulder today, 7lb - figured on a 10 hour burn. I filled the basket this morning around 8:30, lit the charcoals (minion method) - they're holding fine, put them in the UDS and got my temp up to 230 and held it, put on the pork and temp balanced back out... now, I'm slowly losing heat, down to 190. I open another valve, doesn't work, I have the 2.75" bung hole open completely and there's a second, smaller hole, 3/4" wide, I open that, nothing. I just can't keep the temp up. I look in at the coals and they're nice and white, getting plenty of air, not smothering, the ashes are falling down into the pan well. I have a 3" lift off the bottom of the basket to the bottom of the UDS.

One thing I've noticed, everyone says when they open the lid, their temp spikes, mine actually plummets. I opened the top just now for about 45 seconds and the temp dropped 40 degrees.

Does anyone have any idea what my dumba$$ is doing wrong? Or should I just hang it up?

Thanks guys!

How is the exhaust located in relation to your temp probe? When you put the lid back on is the exhaust location changing?

My UDS temps do not normally spike either when I take off the lid and replace it. Normally the temp is down and it takes a bit for the temps to rise back to where they were at, unless there is fat on the coals, then watch out for some serious flame up.

try using a 6" stack to get your draft up..... go to Ace harware find a 2-1/2" gray pvc 6" nipple and screw it into your bung... That should bring your draft up enough to get your temp to stabilize nicely....

Attachments

• photo2a.jpg
    photo2a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 94
try using a 6" stack to get your draft up..... go to Ace harware find a 2-1/2" gray pvc 6" nipple and screw it into your bung... That should bring your draft up enough to get your temp to stabilize nicely....

I have nothing but the open hole at the top. Does that really impact the draft that much? if so, I'm going to have to go try that... in advance, THANK YOU if that's the fix I need. Seems too easy though!

Are you lighting enough coals on fire? I had a similar problem when I first started to using a weed burner. Try a chimney and get a 1/3 load glowing red hot.

Also, unless you pit themo is tried, tested and true. Best stick with a digital probe on grate level.

My baby,

smoker-front-2-580x435.jpg

How big are the holes in your charcoal basket?

Not terribly big, there's a picture of the basket on the second or first page of this thread, not sure... but I'm fearful that's the problem. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Are you lighting enough coals on fire? I had a similar problem when I first started to using a weed burner. Try a chimney and get a 1/3 load glowing red hot.

Also, unless you pit themo is tried, tested and true. Best stick with a digital probe on grate level.

My baby,

smoker-front-2-580x435.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I've typically been lighting the middle of the coals with a weed burner. I run it high for about 45 seconds and get the center 10 or so coals going. Do you think getting more lighted is better? I never seem to have dead coals, just can't get the temp right.

Thanks!

I think what you might be seeing, is the direct heat from those few coals burning good for a short time. When you use a chimney, the coals are hot and burning not just the outsides. There may not be the right airflow to get those coals to basically keep even themselves burning once you close those intakes. Try a chimney starter with 3/4 of a chimney of charcoal and see if you have better luck. It's a $6 demo run, better than screwing a $15 butt or $30 brisket.

Yep. Just play with it. Maybe throw some fatties on. That way you can get a little practice with controlling the uds, without the stress of the more expensive meats. :)

Thanks guys, all very good stuff. I'm gonna try that and also get a chimney attached to increase the draft.

Thanks again!

Thanks guys, all very good stuff. I'm gonna try that and also get a chimney attached to increase the draft.

Thanks again!

Actually results with anything that complicates the basic UDS, such as chimneys or tall air intakes with valves at waist level typically are mixed from what read.

IE the end result might work great, or might not work well...who knows.

Bill

With your lighting method I would estimate your not lighting it enough. I run mine on a middle setting and let it burn a minute or 2. I get similar results with the weed burner and the chimney.

Back