• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pink Salt???

zwylde1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Having been inspired by Phrasty's black peppered ham endevour I am going to give this a shot as well. 1 of the ingredients is Pink Salt. I am going to take that it is the "curing" ingredient. But where the heck do I find this? Is it something that they typical grocery stor will carry? :confused:

Many grocery stores carry Morton's Tenderquik, which is a curing salt that will work like pink salt.

My understanding is that if you use tenderquick, you must substitute that for the required quantity of salt. I have no idea if it works as well as pink salt. The most widely available pink salt is instacure #1, you can find it anywhere that sells sausage making supplies.

check out sausagemaker.com for ingredients and equipment like grinders, stuffers, netting, casings, along with cure #1 and #2.
Cure #1/pink salt is used for bacon, hams, and sausage that will be smoked at low temps (below 100 degrees) and some "hot smoke" products (again, like sausage).
Cure #2 is "time release" for air dried meats from large muscles like parma ham, proscuitto, etc.
Both cures are used to protect against botulism.
Get Ruhlman's book "Charcuterie" or Kutas's book (available from sausagemaker.com)

Tenderquick is a good product, but the directions and amounts are different from making your own cure using "pink salt". I've got both for different projects.

Allied Kenco is cheaper. You can get as little as 1 oz for .50 or as much as 25 lbs for 27 bucks.... That is a lot of cure.

5 lbs for $7.70

www.alliedkenco.com they call it "cure # 1" instead of insta cure 1 but it is the same thing.

Back